How to do screenshots from PS2?

This info is probably available on some kind of FAQ. Can someone point
me to the source?

How to capture.
How to pause at the right moment for a good snapshot.
Can I get the images in HD?
How to transfer the images to a computer.

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This info is probably available on some kind of FAQ. Can someone point
> me to the source?
>
> How to capture.

You need some sort of video capture card or A/V device for your PC. There
are numerous brands on the market. Hook the PS2's multi-out into one of
them--composite or S-video will give you a better picture than the standard
connections.

> How to pause at the right moment for a good snapshot.

A great question. Screenshots from the developers almost always look better
than what you can capture directly, because they usually aren't playing the
game but instead using debug menus to move the camera around, position
characters, and so on. Still, many games let you manually adjust the
camera, and if you've played through a level, you'll anticipate what is
going to happen so that you can get in the right position the next time
through. Also, many of the capture cards don't just take single screenshots
but capture several minutes of video. You can then go back into the video
and extract the frame you want to use as a screenshot.

> Can I get the images in HD?

The software for the capture card/device lets you adjust the resolution and
often deinterlaces the pictures. Check the manuals for the proper settings.

> How to transfer the images to a computer.

That's where the images are in the first place. The capture card/device
stores them on your hard drive.

Android wrote:

> "Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > This info is probably available on some kind of FAQ. Can someone point
> > me to the source?
> >
> > How to capture.
>
> You need some sort of video capture card or A/V device for your PC. There
> are numerous brands on the market. Hook the PS2's multi-out into one of
> them--composite or S-video will give you a better picture than the standard
> connections.
>
> > How to pause at the right moment for a good snapshot.
>
> A great question. Screenshots from the developers almost always look better
> than what you can capture directly, because they usually aren't playing the
> game but instead using debug menus to move the camera around, position
> characters, and so on. Still, many games let you manually adjust the
> camera, and if you've played through a level, you'll anticipate what is
> going to happen so that you can get in the right position the next time
> through. Also, many of the capture cards don't just take single screenshots
> but capture several minutes of video. You can then go back into the video
> and extract the frame you want to use as a screenshot.
>
> > Can I get the images in HD?
>
> The software for the capture card/device lets you adjust the resolution and
> often deinterlaces the pictures. Check the manuals for the proper settings.
>
> > How to transfer the images to a computer.
>
> That's where the images are in the first place. The capture card/device
> stores them on your hard drive.

Of course if we're talking about GT4 you can take pics in game, great
quality, and transfer them to pc via a usb device etc. I use my old
digi camera as my son's new Ipod doesn't do it. Here's some examples
(not too special as I'm just experimenting (smaller than actual size
due to limits of msn)

http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/newart.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=641
http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/newart.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=642
http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/newart.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=643
http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/newart.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=644

--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

Thank you for the replies.

Actually when I asked the question, I thought PS2 would have a special
key sequence that will take a snapshot of the current screen and store
into the USB drive, something that works like "print screen" button on
the PC. I expect it to be a function supported by the PS2 OS.

If I understood the replies correctly, one approach is to feed the
video through the computer and use special hardware to capture video or
stills on the computer. The other approach is to take pictures in the
game, provide such function is built in the game, and then transfer the
image files via a USB thumb drive or something. Are these images
stored in JPG format? How many games in the market allow you to do
such capture? Is GT4 the only one? I know GT4 can output in 1080i,
are the photos also taken in 1080i quality too?

Caloonese wrote:

> Thank you for the replies.
>
> Actually when I asked the question, I thought PS2 would have a special
> key sequence that will take a snapshot of the current screen and store
> into the USB drive, something that works like "print screen" button on
> the PC. I expect it to be a function supported by the PS2 OS.
>
> If I understood the replies correctly, one approach is to feed the
> video through the computer and use special hardware to capture video or
> stills on the computer. The other approach is to take pictures in the
> game, provide such function is built in the game, and then transfer the
> image files via a USB thumb drive or something. Are these images
> stored in JPG format? How many games in the market allow you to do
> such capture? Is GT4 the only one? I know GT4 can output in 1080i,
> are the photos also taken in 1080i quality too?

As far as i know only GT4 offers this facility. TV cards etc are
relatively cheap though and with the right software and connections
you could capture both grabs AND movie clips

having said this the software with my newest tv card is pretty awful
and that can have much effect on your captures.

--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

fe

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004

Caloonese wrote:
> ... Is GT4 the only one? I know GT4 can output in 1080i,
> are the photos also taken in 1080i quality too?

GT4 can save in 1280x960 format (1MPixel) directly to USB port or to
memory card

see exemples form my races ;)
http://img208.echo.cx/my.php?image=20050403cat154uu.jpg
http://img252.echo.cx/my.php?image=2005031510699lv.jpg

for simulation fan is a game you not must loose!!!

--
Fernando Esteves _/_/_/ _/_/_/
(o_ mailto:fe@netvisao.pt _/_/ _/_/