Question How to DOCP 32GB RAM on Asus B450M-A?

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
Need some assistance please. 😊

Conditions:
DOCP works perfectly with ANY TWO of the four RAM sticks, but not together, so 2133 mhz goes up to 3000 mhz.

BUT - When I use more than two together, the PC keeps rebooting and then the BIOS goes into safe mode.

• The BIOS has been updated today.
  • The picture of the RAM Sticks have been attached for more clarity, perhaps.

fr5o3kT.jpg

I want these 4 sticks of RAM to worth with DOCP on my Asus B450M-A motherboard.

Please can anyone guide me as to how this might be possible?

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020

Conditions:
DOCP works perfectly with ANY TWO of the four RAM sticks, but not together, so 2133 mhz goes up to 3000 mhz.

BUT - When I use more than two together, the PC keeps rebooting and then the BIOS goes into safe mode.

fr5o3kT.jpg

Please can anyone guide me as to how this might be possible and / or why the PC is rebooting? I am guessing it has something to do with power?

What's your CPU?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

2 sticks from 2021 are probably a kit of 2 and the other sticks from 2019 are a kit of 2 too. So you're mixing RAM because they're definitely not from the same batch. Mixing RAM with Ryzen is a no go because proper operation is not guaranteed.

Reactions: drivinfast247

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
What's your CPU?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

2 sticks from 2021 are probably a kit of 2 and the other sticks from 2019 are a kit of 2 too. So you're mixing RAM because they're definitely not from the same batch. Mixing RAM with Ryzen is a no go because proper operation is not guaranteed.

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz that's what the CPU says.

Very good observation. I had thought the same too, but the specs match almost to the letter. If this is truly called mixing, could you try and point me out to some literature where I can verify this and return the sticks perhaps?

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Is 1st gen Ryzen with pretty bad memory controller. It's very hard for that CPU to handle 4 sticks at all.
If this is truly called mixing, could you try and point me out to some literature where I can verify this and return the sticks perhaps?
Install Thaiphoon Burner and check the specs of each stick.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
2666MHz for first gen ryzen with 4 sticks should work

By default, the DOCP config within the BIOS is accepting 3,000 mhz for all 4 sticks and 2 combined.

4 sticks is rebooting constantly as soon as I change it to the default 3k mhz. as its showing, but 2 sticks (even mixed with 2019 and 2021) are working awesome at 3k mhz DOCP'd.

It's just the 4 sticks together, is causing a reboot and safe mode of the BIOS.

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
Install Thaiphoon Burner and check the specs of each stick.

I tried it. It shows exact values. I'll repeat what I wrote above if that helps shed any light:

2 sticks (even mixed with 2019 and 2021) are working awesome at 3k mhz DOCP'd from 2133.

It's just that the 4 sticks together, is causing a reboot and safe mode of the BIOS.

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
Enable DOCP and set RAM speed manually to 2933, 2800, 2666 or whatever works.

Thank you for this idea. It seems like one I can try out as a last resort since there are 5-6 repeated reboots before it heads off into safe mode, so it scares me.
I'll await some other replies if others can shed some light.

kanewolf

Titan

Conditions:

fr5o3kT.jpg

Please can anyone guide me as to how this might be possible and / or why the PC is rebooting? I am guessing it has something to do with power?
Was this RAM bought as a single set of 4 DIMMs or as two sets of 2 DIMMs ?

Thank you for this idea. It seems like one I can try out as a last resort since there are 5-6 repeated reboots before it heads off into safe mode, so it scares me.
I'll await some other replies if others can shed some light.
Also set the DIMM voltage manually, it should be 1.35V based on the DIMM labels. That often helps with memory training boot looping and fails.

Ultimately, Gen 1 IMC's aren't nearly as capable is later Ryzen generations. If you can get 2666 with 4 sticks will be good...anything above that should be considered (increasingly) excellent.

If you do get it to boot up do not count that as success. Run some memory tests all the way through first.

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
So, to summarise, I understand that unless they are all from a single set and manufactured together, they won't work on DOCP? I hope I am correct.

However, any one of the DIMMS from 2019 and any one of the DIMMS 2021 worked in unison together and were DOCP'd beautifully to 3000 mhz from 2133 mhz. The only problem is when it goes to more than two DIMMS on the motherboard -- that's when it reboots.

So, to summarise, I understand that unless they are all from a single set and manufactured together, they won't work on DOCP? I hope I am correct.

However, any one of the DIMMS from 2019 and any one of the DIMMS 2021 worked in unison together and were DOCP'd beautifully to 3000 mhz from 2133 mhz. The only problem is when it goes to more than two DIMMS on the motherboard -- that's when it reboots.
thats normal, first gen ryzen 3000mhz with 2 sticks and 2666mhz with 4 sticks on 4 layered mainboard, works as intended, you can replace CPU to zen2 or zen3, then RAM would work as they both support 3200mhz with 4 sticks

Reactions: jojo1000

Not exactly...just much less likely to. But more than that, it's also dicey with a 1st gen IMC so even if you swap for a matched 4 DIMM kit it might not work with simply setting DOCP. Often it's a case of just accepting what it will give you.

Unless you'd run some memory tests I also wouldn't say the pairs worked together in DOCP 'beautifully' at 3000 speed. They may get through training, booting into Windows and running some games or apps but can easily fail in a proper memory test.

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
Not exactly...just much less likely to. But more than that, it's also dicey with a 1st gen IMC so even if you swap for a matched 4 DIMM kit it might not work with simply setting DOCP. Often it's a case of just accepting what it will give you.

Unless you'd run some memory tests I also wouldn't say the pairs worked together in DOCP 'beautifully' at 3000 speed. They may get through training, booting into Windows and running some games or apps but can easily fail in a proper memory test.

Thank you, so what would you suggest / advise moving forward?

jojo1000

Reputable
Jul 21, 2020
thats normal, first gen ryzen 3000mhz with 2 sticks and 2666mhz with 4 sticks on 4 layered mainboard, works as intended, you can replace CPU to zen2 or zen3, then RAM would work as they both support 3200mhz with 4 sticks

This made the most sense to me. Let me see if I can try working them at 2666 onwards ...

Thank you, so what would you suggest / advise moving forward?
This made the most sense to me. Let me see if I can try working them at 2666 onwards ...

Well, right now you have to dance with the one you brung, as they say, so that's a good start. Also manually set the DIMM voltage.

If nothing gets you anything better than base DDR4 clocks (2133) then second choice is a trade-off: what's more important, 32GB or high clock speeds.

And third (which might be first if cost isn't the object) get a matched DIMM kit. I'd suggest a pair of 16GB (32GB total) to avoid the issues with 4 DIMM's.

Reactions: jojo1000