Question How to dowload files to my Synology NAS

bhome83

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I just installed my Synology DS218+ NAS and not sure how to really use it. Basically I just want to be able to download files from my laptop, directly to my NAS hard drive. I also, want to be able to access the files on my laptop in a folder (similar to how it would work if I simply downloaded files to a folder on my laptop.

This sounds very basic, but I've never worked with a NAS before so no idea how to do this.

Appreciate the help!

kanewolf

Titan
You login to the NAS webpage. Go to the control panel. Create a user for each person that needs access. Then go to shared folders and create a shared folder. You should have already set the Windows workgroup to your windows group.
On your laptop you can now put \\<SynologyIP>\<shared folder> in the Windows explorer. That will get you to the shared folder. You can also go through the Network icon to display all the shared folders.

bhome83

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
You login to the NAS webpage. Go to the control panel. Create a user for each person that needs access. Then go to shared folders and create a shared folder. You should have already set the Windows workgroup to your windows group.
On your laptop you can now put \\<SynologyIP>\<shared folder> in the Windows explorer. That will get you to the shared folder. You can also go through the Network icon to display all the shared folders.

Can I just share the entire hard drive that is in my NAS like a separate volume on my laptop and then create individual folders within that volume?

USAFRet

Titan
Can I just share the entire hard drive that is in my NAS like a separate volume on my laptop and then create individual folders within that volume?
Yes, mostly.
Shared, and then a mapped drive letter on your laptop.

My PC has an "N" drive.
This is the NAS volume
Downloads through the browser go to:
zKcBBQ7.jpg