[SOLVED] How to duplicate display with different scaling?

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I have a laptop that I want to connect to an external display but when I connect it, the scaling is the same scaling that on my laptop. It only does to the scaling I want to to be when I close the laptop lid. I want to duplicate the display and have it on my laptop is 125% and on my external display as 100%. I am using Windows 11 version 21H2.

Can anyone help me with this?

Solution
I want to have a cheat sheet on one screen and do stuff on the other.
How can I do that?
What programs do I need?
Then you don’t want to duplicate, you want to extend the desktop across 2 screens effectively making it 1 large screen. This can be done in Windows display settings and can have different scaling. It is quite different to duplicating where both screens display exactly the same image.
Really? I never thought it wouldn't be possible, I might as well give up on trying to do this.
What makes me think this isn’t possible is at different scaling the relative position of icons and buttons will be different. I’m not sure you can get over that. On the lower scaled monitor you might get 10 icons vertically but on the higher you might only fit 8.

Someone might know different but my first thought is this can’t be done.

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
What makes me think this isn’t possible is at different scaling the relative position of icons and buttons will be different. I’m not sure you can get over that. On the lower scaled monitor you might get 10 icons vertically but on the higher you might only fit 8.

Someone might know different but my first thought is this can’t be done.
Is that why Windows jumbles your icons when you connect an external display?

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
It repositions them the new resolution and scaling being used. If identical they should not change. I am guessing using an extended display won’t work for your needs?
I am planning to use it like this setup: youtube.com/watch?v=G2VxwFEA8xM
I won't be using a dock because my laptop already has all the ports I need.

I am planning to use it like this setup: youtube.com/watch?v=G2VxwFEA8xM
I won't be using a dock because my laptop already has all the ports I need.
Then why do you need to duplicate? If using both screens I would extend the desktop across the 2. If only needing 1 screen then just set it so when the external display is connected the laptop screen is off. I’m not seeing why you would want to duplicate.

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Then why do you need to duplicate? If using both screens I would extend the desktop across the 2. If only needing 1 screen then just set it so when the external display is connected the laptop screen is off. I’m not seeing why you would want to duplicate.
How can I do that?
What programs do I need?

How can I do that?
What programs do I need?
Then you don’t want to duplicate, you want to extend the desktop across 2 screens effectively making it 1 large screen. This can be done in Windows display settings and can have different scaling. It is quite different to duplicating where both screens display exactly the same image.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Solution

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Do extend, not duplicate. Extend you have 2 different screens with one being your main. Then you can manually move stuff over to the laptop screen for multitasking activities. Such as have a browser open on the laptop screen and having the game open on the seperate monitor by setting it as main.

You can hotswap between them by using the shortcut SHIFT+WINDOWS+P. You can also do right click on your screen and open display settings. You'll see a window with screens that are numbered 1 and 2. you can move them around to your preferred orientation. Like say move your mouse to the right to go over into the laptop screen and vice versa.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Do extend, not duplicate. Extend you have 2 different screens with one being your main. Then you can manually move stuff over to the laptop screen for multitasking activities. Such as have a browser open on the laptop screen and having the game open on the seperate monitor by setting it as main.

You can hotswap between them by using the shortcut SHIFT+WINDOWS+P. You can also do right click on your screen and open display settings. You'll see a window with screens that are numbered 1 and 2. you can move them around to your preferred orientation. Like say move your mouse to the right to go over into the laptop screen and vice versa.

This, you can have independent scaling per display when extending your desktop but not with duplicate. Not sure why you'd want to duplicate them anyway.