News How to Enable HDR in Windows 11

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
What's with all the Windows 11 articles? Trying to get those clicks?
It is a business, not a community service. If we paid subscription they wouldn't have to write this crap. Just check how Anandtech has at least 50% of their content be AT Deals.

But does the HDR option actually work when switching between HDR and no HDR applications? HDR on Win 10 was so buggy I left it switched off. If this has been resolved I might have found my first reason to try Win 11.

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I use my PC on my TV, and it supports HDR10. When I enable HDR on Windows 11, the image looks completely washed out, just like in Windows 10. I wonder what I'm missing... I haven't tried in any game though.

Reactions: Jay_34

hannibal

Distinguished
I use my PC on my TV, and it supports HDR10. When I enable HDR on Windows 11, the image looks completely washed out, just like in Windows 10. I wonder what I'm missing... I haven't tried in any game though.

Most likely douple HRD... That cause normally owerburn in the image. So if the program try to show something at HRD and if the OS try the same at the same time... that will happen.
The biggest problem is that there are no HRD monitors. Real HDR requires either oled display or multible zone backround lit led... Bot are very rare and very expensive. The problem is as it is shpwn in tle last Linus test... burn in. Linus did burn his oled monitor in few months whn it was used in computer environment... That is bad and also very expensive if you have to buy new monitor a couple on times in one year...

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016

Thanks for the sanity check. Me too. :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does auto-HDR help you from having to readjust your settings depending on the content that you are viewing?

My standalone 4K HDR UHD player seems to be perfectly and automatically set for whatever media (4K, Blu-ray, 720 MPEG, etc.) I am viewing.

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
Windows 11 HDR seems to work best for any 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray discs (e.g. uncompressed) I play on my desktop. Otherwise, I disable HDR.

Swampthing

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I realize this is an older topic, but it hits exactly where I am having a new problem with Windows 11. When I plug in my HDMI connection for my LG C1 tv, it sees the tv as a second display. No problem. But I would prefer to play with full 4K and HDR on my tv, since my laptop screen does not have 4K or HDR. So I use the SECOND SCREEN ONLY and it's fine. But once I go back into the settings and click the switch to USE HDR, the tv screen disconnects and all I get is screen one on my laptop monitor. And then I can't turn the USE HDR off, because it says display not active... I have an XSX and PS5, as well as a 4K apple tv, and they all run fine in 4K HDR on this tv.

As background, I was using my Asus G733QSA ROG Strix 17 without any of these connection problems at all. And I set the SECOND SCREEN to the 3840 tv resolution and HDR.

But I recently upgraded to the new Asus ROG STRIX SCAR 17 SE wwith Windows 11, and now I have the problem. The new laptop has a 2560x1440 resolution at 240Hz. The old laptop had a resolution of1080p at 60Hz. My LG C1 operates at 3840 resolution with full 4K and HDR.

There isn't anything wrong with the HDMI port, as everything works fine initially. And I can still use it to duplicate displays. But when I click on USE HDR in Windows 11, bam... it disappears. I just want to be able to pipe my new laptop to my LG C1 and have full 4K and HDR.

Any suggestions? I am at a loss how to fix this problem.