How to enable TV Out in DOS?

G

I am going to purchase a semi-cheap video card for a project where I need the card's TV Out working in DOS. In Windows you usually have to enable TV Out for video cards in some sort of special utility or in Display Props. But in DOS how does one do it? I'm kind of doubting that the video card manufacturers include DOS tv out utilites for video cards these days...I am thinking of getting a Diamond Viper II for this project because it has tv out. Anyone have any idea on this or experience with this?? By the way, I'm talking about a pure DOS boot machine here. No windows installed. Only DOS. Any help would be appreciated! Or maybe if someone could tell me where to get more info on this subject. Thanks!!!

jakobud

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
To my knowledge, no card's TV out will will work in a DOS environment as the drivers enabling this feature are for the Windows or other operating System environment. Can anyone out there prove me wrong?

If it works for you then don't fix it.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I do believe that the ATI cards if they detect that if the VideoOut is hooked up then they default to video out until turned off by Windows. That how my RageFury worked, if I hooked up my TV set to it, it would always boot up with TV out. I found that to be a nuissance, if you select the drivers to turn off VideoOut, it would after the boot cycle in Windows. Not sure about my Radeon since I gave away my TV set.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/21/01 11:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
ATI cards will boot up with TV out automatically until it is turned off by the drivers if selected to turn off.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
On my ATI card, TV-Out was alway-on unless disabled in Windows.
On my Gefarce MX, TV-out was on in DOS as long as a monitor was not present, it would not output to two sources in DOS but would default to the TV-Out if no monitor was detected.
My SiSsy card would output to both in DOS.
So they all work in DOS, just that you have to have the monitor disconected with the MX.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine