How to extend c: disk volume (SSD drive) in Win10?

ZalekBloom

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I found that there is an option in Win10 to extend disk space, but I still have a problem:
I opened Device Manager, Disk Drives and I see my c: drive
Here is how it looks: Here is how it looks

On my C: drive I see 130gb NTFS, next I see 966mb Recovery Partition and the next is 86.9 Gb unallocated, next is 19.51 Gb another Recovery Partition.
When I right click on C: the "extent volume" option is disabled (option is grayed)

It says that you can add a space only if you have a continuous space after the drive - I have after C: drive the Recovery Partition and 86.9 unallocated space - no idea if it is continuous.

Any idea how to add space to the c: - primary partition?
Thanks,

zb

Solution
You don't really need any third-party program to achieve your objective. You can delete both Recovery partitions - the 966 MB one & the 19.51 GB one.

First try Disk Management to delete each partition. Assuming DM balks at deleting one or both of those partitions you can utilize DiskPart to do so. I assume you know how to use DiskPart; if not, do a Google search and learn about this valuable Windows utility.

The final command in DiskPart after you select the partition to delete is: delete partition override
Note you need the override flag to achieve the deletion.

After the partitions are deleted you can go ahead and use DM to extend the boot drive's C: partition.

USAFRet

Titan
I would guess that 19.5GB Recovery partition is from the original prebuilt install?
That's what comes in a laptop or other prebuilt system.

And, as above, to merge the current C with the unallocated 86.9GB space you need to use a 3rd party partition tool.

You don't really need any third-party program to achieve your objective. You can delete both Recovery partitions - the 966 MB one & the 19.51 GB one.

First try Disk Management to delete each partition. Assuming DM balks at deleting one or both of those partitions you can utilize DiskPart to do so. I assume you know how to use DiskPart; if not, do a Google search and learn about this valuable Windows utility.

The final command in DiskPart after you select the partition to delete is: delete partition override
Note you need the override flag to achieve the deletion.

After the partitions are deleted you can go ahead and use DM to extend the boot drive's C: partition.

Solution