How to extend C drive in Windows 7?

Josh446

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Hello! Can you help me to extend my C drive in my Windows 7 computer?
On my internal hard drive, I just find there is much unallocated space recently. And the C partition also only has 2GB of free space left. Therefore, perhaps, I can add the unallocated space to my C drive. But, I don’t know what to do. Do you have any idea? Do you know how to extend my C drive with unallocated space in Windows 7?

Shamsy99

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Click start --> Right Click on computer --> Manage --> Go to "Disk Management" --> Right Click on the C: and "Extend Volume" should be available. Go through the steps and it should be expanded.

Dragonburn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
There is one step that everyone here seems to be forgetting... they are correct about how to get the Disk Management, but they all seem to have left out that you must convert your Basic Disk to a Dynamic Disk in order to be able to extend. Before converting your disk, I would recommend a full system backup to an external drive, as changing from a Basic Disk to a Dynamic Disk is irreversible without formatting the entire drive. Once you have converted the disk, you will receive a warning that states if you have multiple operating systems installed, only the currently running os will boot after you convert the disc, but I don't really think that applies to you in this case, then you will have the option available to extend the disk using the unallocated space from you current drive and any additional drives that are installed in your system and that are also Dynamic Disks.