How to extend Creative T12 speaker distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Hi everyone, I bought these cool Creative T12 Bluetooth speakers for my computer, but only one small problem. There's a cord hard wired to one of the speakers that plugs into the other speaker's "to left speaker" port, I'm assuming this does both audio and power. Do they make extension cables for these so I can put my speakers farther apart?

Here's a link to a 360 of the speakers so you can see what I'm talking about

http://www.creative.com/letsgowireless/products/product.aspx?pid=19979

Thanks for the advice.

Solution
Looks like just a normal RCA jack from one speaker to the other.

You can get an extension cable for that at almost any electronics store. Hell on a budget even the dollar store may have some, but the quality will vary from product to product in that case.

Chances are, you just have the amp in the one speaker and are sending an amplified signal to the other speaker. This is just how it is done on normal speakers/amplifiers(just most times done with bare wire, but RCA jacks have been used as well)

On this image (Altec Lansing ATP3) you see the plug on the left(A) side(it only has 3 because it is on the sub and not in the speaker it self) is just a normal RCA type plug. extending it with an extension cable worked perfect. The other plug...
Looks like just a normal RCA jack from one speaker to the other.

You can get an extension cable for that at almost any electronics store. Hell on a budget even the dollar store may have some, but the quality will vary from product to product in that case.

Chances are, you just have the amp in the one speaker and are sending an amplified signal to the other speaker. This is just how it is done on normal speakers/amplifiers(just most times done with bare wire, but RCA jacks have been used as well)

On this image (Altec Lansing ATP3) you see the plug on the left(A) side(it only has 3 because it is on the sub and not in the speaker it self) is just a normal RCA type plug. extending it with an extension cable worked perfect. The other plug in the middle(B) connects to the right speaker and because it has bass/treble/volume controls has a different plug. The last GREEN(3) plug is just like yours, an input.
swcon.jpg

Image from http://www.3dvelocity.com

Solution

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
It looked like a standard audio cable to me as well, but I noticed that other speaker didn't have power going to it, so I assumed that power was also flowing through it based off that. I don't know much about speakers, so i'm just guessing there though, that's why I posted here. Does that change your answer at all?

It should not change anything.

In this case, you have power(12 volts if I see it right) running into one speaker. That same speaker also gets the stereo audio signal. Inside that speaker, the amplifier makes the incoming signal powerful enough to drive the speakers.

The wires for the one speaker are clearly internal and the other has the long(but not long enough wire) heading to the other speaker.

The signal coming from that plug is amplified(powered if you will, it is much stronger then the one that entered the system from the computer) and is at a higher voltage audio signal that the speaker will playback without need for any other power source.

This again does not look any different then a normal stereo amplifier setup(Amp takes the input signal and makes it big enough to drive the speakers the speakers then selves are powered off this amplified signal) except that your amp is contained within one speaker.

You should have no problems using an extension to move the speakers farther apart.

You may want to check this out, It gives an idea of how a speaker works and makes everything a bit more clear.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/speaker.htm

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Awesome. Thanks nukemaster, you really helped me out big time here! Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.