Question How to extend wifi network to cover the entire house?

jason3893

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I currently have a modem/router combo device from Verizon (the Verizon MI424WR rev. I) which I have placed in my office at one end of the house on the second floor. The wifi strength at the other end of the house is weak as expected. I can't move the modem/router since multiple devices are directly connected to it. I'm not sure what the best option is for me. From my searches I've seen the options of using a range extender and creating a wifi mesh network but I don't know which option is best for me or if there is another better option. Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

jason3893

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Is there any ethernet cabling in the house? Adding WIFI access point(s) with wired connectivity back to the main router is the BEST answer. After that we are just looking at what is the least worst option.
Unfortunately it's an old house and there isn't any ethernet connections.

Since the modem/router is on the second floor just run a few cables up into the attic. I would poke a hole in the ceiling and add 2 ubiquiti AP's will look like smoke detectors, depending on the size of the house i would move them about 1/3 of the way in from the ends of the house.

I run 2 in my house on the same SSID and when walking from one end to the other you will just jump to the highest signal strength without even noticing.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't own the house so that can't be done either. What is the best option that does not require modifications to the house?
I would try powerline network with built-in WIFI access point -- https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833704304 This will use the home's power wiring in place of ethernet cabling.

I do not recommend using extenders except as a last resort.

Is there any coax cable installed? MoCA network adapters might be an option if there is coax installed that can be used.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS