Question How to extract a stripped screw for an M.2 card?

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
The screw that holds down the M.2 wireless card in my laptop is completely stripped and I don't know how to get it out.

The reason this came about is because the card kept working itself loose, causing blue screens and eventually loss of wireless function altogether. I would open the laptop, reseat the card, and it would work for a while, but eventually work itself loose again. So I tried screwing it down really hard, which is how the screw got stripped. And now the wireless is getting flaky again, so I need to remove the screw once more.

I have tried putting a rubber band between the screw and the screwdriver. I have tried putting a glob of cyanoacrylate adhesive on the screwdriver and trying to glue the screw to it, but neither of those work. The head is well and truly stripped.

I think the next step is to use a screw extractor, but there are two problems with that:
  1. I don't know what size screw extractor to buy. I have seen a video that specifically mentions Trend Grabit screw extractors, but I can't find where to get those where I live.
  2. My drill is quite a beast and I don't feel confident about being able to do such fine work with it without doing even more damage. I don't have particularly steady hands either, which adds to the difficulty.
What can I do?

Also, if you have a suggestion about how I can permanently resolve the problem of the wireless card working loose, that would be a great help too. Is it possible to tell whether the problem is the card or the socket? if it is the card, that can be replaced relatively easily.