[SOLVED] How to extract two Windows 10 keys

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Hello, all,

I recently purchased two old HP desktops that have Windows 10 on them (I believe Pro). The person I'm repurposing them for is purely Linux and told me I can keep the Windows keys as he won't ever need them.

I obtained no paperwork or boxes to indicate my Win 10 key. The machines are 100% verified and activated (not sure if they're reformatted but I'll refresh Windows 10 back to fresh / default later on). So since the new users aren't gonna want the Win 10 key can I pull them and repurpose them on some of my other machines that can get that version of Windows installed and activated with those legit keys? And if so, how do I go about getting them? Also do I need to unregister the keys inside of each of Win 10 machines and then repurpose the keys on another machine? Or is this a bust and Win 10 keys are locked to the hardware?

Any and all info is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
  1. Create a .txt file on your desktop.
  2. Open the .txt file and cut and paste the code below.
  3. Rename the textfile to key.vbs
  4. Start the script and it will show you the OS key.
Unless they are retail key that can be transferred to a new system using it as a digital license using your microsoft account or by entering the retail key you won't be able to use them on another system. Can't do that with a pre-installed OEM Windows 10 key.

COPY PASTE BELOW
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur *...
  1. Create a .txt file on your desktop.
  2. Open the .txt file and cut and paste the code below.
  3. Rename the textfile to key.vbs
  4. Start the script and it will show you the OS key.
Unless they are retail key that can be transferred to a new system using it as a digital license using your microsoft account or by entering the retail key you won't be able to use them on another system. Can't do that with a pre-installed OEM Windows 10 key.

COPY PASTE BELOW
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I recently purchased two old HP desktops that have Windows 10 on them (I believe Pro). The person I'm repurposing them for is purely Linux and told me I can keep the Windows keys as he won't ever need them.
No can do.
Preinstalled Win 10 from HP/Dell or similar is about the only case where you can't transfer that license to new hardware.
It belongs to that system.

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Hey, all,

Thanks for all the awesome info and responses! Much appreciated! I'll get to your guys responses and see what I can do.

So I booted them up and they are fully fresh formatted.

I looked up to see what kind of Windows 10 license I have and all I get is that it says it's Win 10 Pro and they both have a 'Digital License.' I googled around for a bit but all I get from Microsoft forums is that if yours says "Product key" it's a code on the box / piece of paper and that's transferable but then it also says that a Digital License can be stated as purchased from the Microsoft Store and also transferrable so I'm all confused haha

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, all,

Thanks for all the awesome info and responses! Much appreciated! I'll get to your guys responses and see what I can do.

So I booted them up and they are fully fresh formatted.

I looked up to see what kind of Windows 10 license I have and all I get is that it says it's Win 10 Pro and they both have a 'Digital License.' I googled around for a bit but all I get from Microsoft forums is that if yours says "Product key" it's a code on the box / piece of paper and that's transferable but then it also says that a Digital License can be stated as purchased from the Microsoft Store and also transferrable so I'm all confused haha
If that system came with Win 10 installed, it is probably not transferable.
If it was an Update from a previous version (7 or 8), then yes.
If it was a Win 10 that was purchased, then yes.

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
If that system came with Win 10 installed, it is probably not transferable.
If it was an Update from a previous version (7 or 8), then yes.
If it was a Win 10 that was purchased, then yes.
Gotcha. And how can I tell either or? If I just write down the key and then wipe it with Linux I can use that key as the machine no longer sees the key right (assuming the key is transferrable)?

I can also try the above comments script and give that a shot and see what I truly have on these. If they're tied to the machines then is what it is but if I can pull em and repurpose them.

USAFRet

Titan
Gotcha. And how can I tell either or? If I just write down the key and then wipe it with Linux I can use that key as the machine no longer sees the key right (assuming the key is transferrable)?

I can also try the above comments script and give that a shot and see what I truly have on these. If they're tied to the machines then is what it is but if I can pull em and repurpose them.
Ask the person you got these from where the WIn 10 came from.
Look up the model, and see what it might have come with originally.