News How to Farm Chia Coin, the New Storage-Based Cryptocurrency

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 14, 2021
Box cooler i9 10900 80 + °C
Need good cooler.

I'll put ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO on tomorrow and then I will write what the temperature is.
Maybe that's why I have low results of 20 plots a day.

70°C for i9 10900 Temperature is the operating temperature limit to enable the Intel® TVB frequency.
64°C max now with ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Last edited:
Box cooler i9 10900 80 + °C
Need good cooler.

I'll put ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO on tomorrow and then I will write what the temperature is.
Maybe that's why I have low results of 20 plots a day.
Your bottleneck is probably the SSD. The Corsair MP400 uses QLC NAND, with a limited SLC cache. It can mimic high write speeds for a little while, but once the SLC cache gets filled up, write performance will plummet. This is from our review of the 1TB model, but the 4TB model probably won't do that much better:

HAFADmbRUnhF5pY3xcH6bB.png

While Chia doesn't do fully random writes (it's far more sequential in nature), doing 10x plots at a time will tax such a drive. Ideally, you want a larger SSD with TLC NAND and 3000 MB/s or higher sequential write speeds, which should allow the drive to manage 10x concurrent plots without slowing down. Check task manager and see what the SSD usage looks like. If it's continually pegged at 100%, that's the bottleneck.

May 14, 2021
XPG S40G 4TB RGB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD (AS40G-4TT-C) 436,09 € OR
2 X Samsung MZ-V7S2T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD (up to 3.500 MB/s) (2 x €304.99 )
Please give an opinion!

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't waste your time getting into this coin. You can watch an interview with the developer on why they had such a huge pre-farm. His answers were awful.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1G0Sli2gY
He laughed off serious questions, and then changed the subject because he didn't have a good answer for it.

Right now, the amount of storage you need to dedicate to get any meaningful reward is astronomical. Even if they fix that with pools, they can't fix the fact that a company pre-farmed 21million coins, an amount that won't be farmed by the end-users collectively for another 122 years. I even like the idea that it's not using as much energy as bitcoin/ethereum, even if it is producing a lot of e-waste in the form on harddrives(maybe those could be recycled?). I just don't think this is the coin to get behind.

Last edited:

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I built a rig very similar to the suggested 10x plotting machine specs. CPU is a 10850k, 64GB of Patriot Viper Memory, and an Adata XPG S40G 4TB drive. But it's running really really slow.

Its been about 21 hours and the first plot in the set of 10 is at 39%, while the last is at 21%.

The CPU is not the bottleneck, as the task manager shows CPU load to be fluctuating between 3% and 7%. The CPU is running cool at under 40C. The memory is at 42% utilization. The SSD is about 45% full.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

The motherboard is the Asus TUF Gaming Z490 Plus Wifi. The OS is on a separate 256 GB M.2 drive, and the second M.2 slot has the Adata XPG S40G 4TB.

May 14, 2021
1. Add 10 Plot to Queue - final HDD E:
Wait 50 minutes
2. Add 10 Plot to Queue - final HDD F:
Wait 50 minutes
... 10 times
The idea is 10 plots to be in different phases.

Jun 14, 2021
Another way to speed up plot creation is to use multiple NVME drives and multiple HDDs for final destination. That way you are putting less stress on your controller trying to read or write to one disk. To keep track, name your queues based on temp and final drive.

I have something like this:
DG
DH
DI
FJ
FK
FL

Each plot is queued as 5 plots NOT in parallel, so in this example I have three running on Temp D drive and Temp F drive, all writing to individual HDD at the end.
NVME is much faster than HDD, so ready speed is not an issue when copying three files from NVME. Each HDD is receiving just one file at a time, so it goes as fast as it can.

I'm using Silicon Power A80 1TB NVMe (TBW=1665), just because I could not find US70 TBW=1800 at much higher speeds.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021
Another way to speed up plot creation is to use multiple NVME drives and multiple HDDs for final destination. That way you are putting less stress on your controller trying to read or write to one disk. To keep track, name your queues based on temp and final drive.

I have something like this:
DG
DH
DI
FJ
FK
FL

Each plot is queued as 5 plots NOT in parallel, so in this example I have three running on Temp D drive and Temp F drive, all writing to individual HDD at the end.
NVME is much faster than HDD, so ready speed is not an issue when copying three files from NVME. Each HDD is receiving just one file at a time, so it goes as fast as it can.

I'm using Silicon Power A80 1TB NVMe (TBW=1665), just because I could not find US70 TBW=1800 at much higher speeds.

Could you tell me how many NVME drives for each of HDD? Or 1 NVME use for 3 HDD (4TB * 3 = 12TB) following your Temp D and Temp F.

Jun 14, 2021
Could you tell me how many NVME drives for each of HDD? Or 1 NVME use for 3 HDD (4TB * 3 = 12TB) following your Temp D and Temp F.

I was using 1 NVME for temp plots, and moved those to three different HDDs.
Limitation was NVME size, 1TB can handle 3 plots at a time, when i tried 4 plots, it took almost twice as long to plot.
In theory, if you use bigger NVME, you can use it to populate 6-7 HDDs. at max speed of SATA lane 600MB/s
In real life, you'll get about 150 MB/s writing to a 7200rpm HDD, so the only limitation is how many plot you can have on NVME and how may drives you have available.

Jun 18, 2021
I was using 1 NVME for temp plots, and moved those to three different HDDs.
Limitation was NVME size, 1TB can handle 3 plots at a time, when i tried 4 plots, it took almost twice as long to plot.
In theory, if you use bigger NVME, you can use it to populate 6-7 HDDs. at max speed of SATA lane 600MB/s
In real life, you'll get about 150 MB/s writing to a 7200rpm HDD, so the only limitation is how many plot you can have on NVME and how may drives you have available.

I use below

1. CPU: Core i5-11400
  2. RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200
  3. 1 NVME (1TB) for 3 HDD x 5TB for Temp D
  4. 1 NVME (1TB) for 3 HDD x 5TB for Temp E
  5. PSU: 600W

Thanks in advance for advices.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
Sorry for reviving an older thread but I haven't been able to find a direct answer for something I want to know.

Once a person is all setup farming Chia, the plots are done on SSD's first for speed then transferred to HDD for capacity.
What I am wondering is;

How long do you have to keep the plots on your HDD's? As you're creating new plots everyday and transferring more and more to the HDD's do the older plots get deleted or are they kept for a certain amount of time or kept forever?
Are the plots moved to the HDD's still accessed regularly, once you've transferred them and are creating new plots?

Thank you in advance

May 27, 2021
Yeah. I figured this out today when a 4 bay 3.5” HDD enclosure arrived. Already have two drives installed and could only get 2 in the enclosure to work. I have two M.2 installed.

So yeah. Some wasted money and a build that wont do as described.

I guess maybe a PCIe to SATA?

Did you have any luck with the PCIe to SATA? I have run into problems getting my system to recognize the device after installing all drivers.....

Sorry for reviving an older thread but I haven't been able to find a direct answer for something I want to know.

Once a person is all setup farming Chia, the plots are done on SSD's first for speed then transferred to HDD for capacity.
What I am wondering is;

How long do you have to keep the plots on your HDD's? As you're creating new plots everyday and transferring more and more to the HDD's do the older plots get deleted or are they kept for a certain amount of time or kept forever?
Are the plots moved to the HDD's still accessed regularly, once you've transferred them and are creating new plots?

Thank you in advance
You keep the plots on the HDDs forever. Meaning, the number of total actively stored plots connected to the Chia network is the proof of space. If you delete a plot and replace it with a new plot, your contributions and odds of farming a block don't increase at all. So once all of your HDD capacity has been plotted, you stop doing new plots and just sit and wait. Or alternatively, buy more storage to hold more plots.

But as noted in the article, the returns for buying more storage for Chia have dropped substantially. For a $200 10TB HDD, it would take at least 10 months to break even, and that's just on the HDD. If you build out a whole Chia farm with something like 500TB of total storage, you'd probably need to spend close to $20,000 (give or take), which would take 20 months at current rates just to break even.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
You keep the plots on the HDDs forever. Meaning, the number of total actively stored plots connected to the Chia network is the proof of space. If you delete a plot and replace it with a new plot, your contributions and odds of farming a block don't increase at all. So once all of your HDD capacity has been plotted, you stop doing new plots and just sit and wait. Or alternatively, buy more storage to hold more plots.

But as noted in the article, the returns for buying more storage for Chia have dropped substantially. For a $200 10TB HDD, it would take at least 10 months to break even, and that's just on the HDD. If you build out a whole Chia farm with something like 500TB of total storage, you'd probably need to spend close to $20,000 (give or take), which would take 20 months at current rates just to break even.

Thank you so much for answering my questions Jared.

Thank you as well for the advice about ROI at current prices.

I just want to say I very much appreciate all the work, research and everything you do for the Hardware Enthusiast community.
I am 41 years old and have been building PC's for 25 years. I started reading Tom's Hardware when it was first started. Tom's has always been one of the first websites I check about any new hardware and in general on a daily basis.
I used to hate miners for the GPU price increases. I've been an Enthusiast for a long time. I used to work at a local PC sales store when I was in university and I bought a $700 GPU. The owner was my close friend's father. When I bought
that GPU he looked at his son and said "He's what they call an Enthusiast". That was in the 90's so 6 months later the GPU wasn't worth half what I paid for it. I swore I'd never pay that much for a GPU again.
I am currently on my 4th dual GPU setup, with 2 x 3090's. I started mining with the first 3090 I bought 2 weeks after they were released. Although I didn't start mining with it until Feb. I kick myself for not starting as soon as I got it. I used the profit so far to buy my second 3090 and everything I needed to setup my first full custom watercooling setup. I had a dual GPU setup in 2012/13 when I first found out about Bitcoin, probably from Tom's. I setup everything up for mining and using crypto and starting mining with both GPU's. At the time Bitcoin was about $12 and I didn't mine for much longer than a day or two. I kick myself for not sticking with it at time. I could be retired now if I had more foresight.

People that want to take out their anger about crypto on you and Tom's are just angry, immature, ill-informed and rude.
They want to talk about people disappearing with 2 billion dollars? Can they be that hypocritical or do they not remember or understand what happened to the world in 2008? More than 2 trillion dollars in wealth disappeared.
If anyone ACTUALLY wants to tackle issues with money laundering, crime etc, looking at crypto is the wrong place to start. Let's talk about how close to HALF the wealth in the world is hidden in tax haven countries.
Let's talk about the whole industry that has spawned, full of bankers, accountants and lawyers, to serve the super rich and create these tax havens, shell companies and tax avoidance/evasion schemes.
Let's talk about how the US is printing themselves into destruction. How every single fiat currency in the history of the world has failed.
People complain about the electricity. Whether people agree or not crypto has created billions or more in wealth all around the world. A lot of large industries that create a lot of money use huge amounts of electricity.
Think about how much electricity a steel mill with it's huge electric furnaces consumes. Any type of metal mill, or metal smelters. Ship building, oil and gas, chip fabs and the list goes on and on.
They just quote large number of watts consumed by crypto but don't ever put it into context with other major industries.
An average land drilling rig burns 20,000-30,000 litres of diesel fuel per day. Large container ships, that move most of the products in everyone's house, can burn >20,000 litres of diesel per hour. The largest container ships hold >4,000,000 gallons or about 15,000,000 litres of diesel.
It's not just drug dealers and sex criminals that use crypto. In fact, at this time I would say those users are in the minority by a large margin.

Thank you again for all your hard work. There are MANY of us that very much appreciate all that you have done for our community.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU