How to find a hidden, wifi-connected security device in my house?

swazitron

Honorable
May 28, 2016
Someone in my family hid a Netgear Arlo security camera/audio recorder in my house. It's connected to the Wi-Fi router. Now, I know I can simply access the router and kick this device off, but the circumstances prohibit that as a possibility. I need to find out where it physically is. What can I use to locate it? It's connected via Wi Fi - is there some sort of device that can pick up Wi-Fi signals?

Before people judge or speculate, I live with someone who is mentally unstable and paranoid. I am not doing anything illegal.

Solution
The issue isnt so much it being impossible, but it being possible for you to do. The best you as a consumer could do would likely identify where is connecting, not its physical location.

swazitron

Honorable
May 28, 2016

Why is that the case? Wifi signals are radio signals, and you can pick up radio signals using, well, a radio, or other devices I'm sure. I'm just wondering, not criticising - I know little about networks.

swazitron

Honorable
May 28, 2016

In the 5 minutes between responses, I just got a nagging feeling of where the camera might be located. I looked and,remarkably, found it. Regardless, thank you for your answer.

one hope you did not find it in a "bathroom" or other peoples " rooms" as I would certainly see that as a serious privacy issue.
but Ill leave that to tend to yourself.

PS: if you dont weant people putting stuff on the wifi without your knowledge you can restrict all new devices after identifying all devices currently on your network and allowing existing ones (registering their mac address) to remain where all other "new" devices planted/used, even though they may know the password to the wifi is not pre-authorized by the restriction list therefore will not let it connect to the network.

I had to do that in my own house, because nurses (for my handicapped daughter) started bringing laptop and were downloading shit off the web they were not supposed to be doing (high traffic in house when no one but them here.) barred them, simply, and really works to give you back the control.

swazitron

Honorable
May 28, 2016

Unfortunately, it was found in a bedroom. It's rather difficult living with someone who is severely bipolar.

Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely look into setting up a list for my home router.

The cheapest method I have found to do this is to use a directional outdoor bridge from ubiquiti. Although it is meant for point to point wifi connections their hardware has the ability to run as a simple frequency analyses. It will only see the frequencies wifi runs on but it will detect non wifi equipment....like microwave ovens. I have a old outdated model I keep around just for this feature.

It being directional allows you do see what direction the signals get stronger or weaker. For $50 it is a good way to locate stuff that is not even connected to your network. Its too bad the frequencies are limited to the wifi bands be really nice to find cell phones in places they are not suppose to be.

Jun 20, 2018
Hi, if you are lucky and that hidden camera is having night vision, then you can trace it easily. Because, the night vision cameras are equipped with IR LEDs, which allows them to view in the dark area. You can trace these LEDs with cameras. I think this will help you.
And if you are looking for some hidden cameras then you can find them here.
https://10hotdeals.com/best-hidden-cameras/