Question How to find an open boxed AM4 CPU got used or not

Jan 4, 2020
I have to buy an Open boxed AM4 CPU that seller said it doesn't got used but how can i find he said the truth or not?

only by physically checking it for thermal compound residue, also, funny thing but im not sure if the pins for that cpu is on the motherboard or the processor lol ! i know mine is on the motherboard, so if thats the case your cpu should have no pins but if it was used the gold contact points will have small "contact" marks from the mobo pins, that tells you...

uh... nothing much u can do..

Reactions: dadashali
Jan 4, 2020
Ya the matter is that CPU is not in my hand and I can't check it pins got marked or not ... however I'm not sure about that marks on CPU pins on the AMD platform. On intel platfrom it would be easy to find marks on the back of cpu...

Ya the matter is that CPU is not in my hand and I can't check it pins got marked or not ... however I'm not sure about that marks on CPU pins on the AMD platform. On intel platfrom it would be easy to find marks on the back of cpu...

aint nothing you can do m8, no smeary thermal compound, aint much else you can do to identify as cpus can be slapped in and removed witout any marks

I'm not even sure marks on CPU pins (AMD) or contact pads (Intel) would be proof it was used by a previous owner because manufacturing test equipment would leave light marks of their own. If clean, you really can't tell if any open / unsealed box CPU has been used or not. I'd want the same discount as I'd get for used unless it's from a reliable retailer and accompanied with a money back refund (they pay shipping) if DOA. And the seller's warranty should last a few weeks at least and not rely on mfr's warranty alone.

Last edited: