How to find MAIN Ethernet / Cat 5 internet cable??

jaredweb

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
In my finished basement is a network panel with a bunch of Cat5 and a bunch of Coax (Direct TV). I use Century link as an ISP.
Some of the wires are bundled and labeld (Master, Family, etc).

There are blue Cat5, and grey Cat5 cables.
Not all of the wires are connected to terminals for the Cat5 cables... looks like 4 are connected to terminals, and the other 4 wires within every Cat5 cable just has the the wires twisted back down the outside of the cat5 cable iteself, if that makes sense.

The panel has 2 sets/groups of terminals.. with a grey Jumper cable connecting the two groups.

My understanding is that if I move my CenturyLink Modem down to this network panel and connect it, then all other phone/ethenet ports in the house will be live/have wired internet access, which I would like as I would like to hardwire/ethnet connection my Apple TV 4K and XBOX One, as well as possible a computer or 2.

How do I go about fiding the MAIN ethernet/data/Cat5 cable wihin all of these cable in the network panel??

Pic below might be helpful...

THANK YOU A TON FOR ANY HELP and ADVICE!!!

37731761415_3b94de69a6_b.jpg

Solution
That looks like a non-standard setup for the SDM48PX expansion hub on the right. This is a case of mix-and-match. Usually, a jumper cable for up to 4 phone lines from a master hub would go into the expansion port on the left of the SDM48PX, but I don't see a master hub in the photo. So it may be that the telco wiring is behind the SDM48PX. The gray jumper cable connects the 4 additional runs on the Leviton punch down block to the left, so you have 11 total runs to 11 RJ-11 jacks.

If you don't need phone service anymore, what you can most likely do is pick any wiring pair on the SDM48PX and punch it down into an RJ-11 keystone jack, then run an RJ-11 cable between the keystone jack and your modem. Then you can get rid of the gray...

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jaredweb : "How do I find MAIN Cat5 / Ethernet internet Cable in Panel???"

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017
That looks like a non-standard setup for the SDM48PX expansion hub on the right. This is a case of mix-and-match. Usually, a jumper cable for up to 4 phone lines from a master hub would go into the expansion port on the left of the SDM48PX, but I don't see a master hub in the photo. So it may be that the telco wiring is behind the SDM48PX. The gray jumper cable connects the 4 additional runs on the Leviton punch down block to the left, so you have 11 total runs to 11 RJ-11 jacks.

If you don't need phone service anymore, what you can most likely do is pick any wiring pair on the SDM48PX and punch it down into an RJ-11 keystone jack, then run an RJ-11 cable between the keystone jack and your modem. Then you can get rid of the gray jumper cable, and take the 11 other runs, crimp them into RJ-45 connectors, and plug them into a 12 port switch or patch panel connecting to the modem or a router of your choice. Then you need to replace the RJ-11 wall plates with RJ-45 wall plates (or just replace the wall plates' inserts, so that instead of having 4 pins & connectors they have 8 pins & connectors).

You should look into getting a cable continuity tester to troubleshoot that the RJ-45 pins match up between the basement and the wall plate.

Solution