how to find out which part is faulty/new build

Poultrygeist

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015
hello folks,
i have bought several new PC parts about 2 weeks ago with the kind help of the tom's hardware forum users.

here are the parts:

-Corsair Carbide SPEC-03
-Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB - DIMM - 2666
-AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - Boxed
-Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3
-Corsair CX450M

after arrival i sat down to assemble all the parts,since this is my first "proper" build i did so with this forum open as well as watching a how to YT video.long story short, the fans all spin as well as the fancy lights that show up on the motherboard itself. but i have the infamous black screen so the PC does not post into bios at all.

i have read through several threads here to find out how i can resolve this. i did try all the methods that i could find without any positive result so i brought it to my local PC repair to let them have a look. they pretty much confirmed i had assembled everything correctly so one or more parts must have shipped faulty.

apparently the motherboard doesnt support this little tone making thing that you can attach to determine which part does not work with beeps.

iam kind of desperate because the company i bought all this from only replaces faulty items within 7 days,but the PC guy took longer than that. this whole desaster has cost me about 600EUR already and iam wondering if there is any way to find out which part is broken.

once again, thank so much for your time and effort to help me get to the bottom of this.

Lutfij

Titan
1| You didn't include the make and model of your GPU.

2| The Ryzen CPU don't have an integrated GPU so if you're connected to the onboard display output ports, sorry to say you've got it wrong. If you were expecting to get video out of it, you'd need to wait unitl the APU range from RyZen come out.

3| On another note, did you make sure you have the single stick of ram populating the right slot on the motherboard?

You did not list a graphics card.
If you are tyring to use the video ports on the mothebroard that is your problem. The board is designed to support both current ryzen chips and future APU chips, the APU chips will have onboard graphics but the Ryzen does not. Thus you need a seperate graphics card for Ryzen.
If your PC guy did not know this, or couldnt figure it out then I would not use them ever again.

Poultrygeist

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015
sorry, yes i did leave out my GPU,
its the gigabyte GTX960 windforce that is sitting currently in my old PC. i have tried both starting the PC with the GPU connected and my monitor connected to it as well as taking it out and connecting my monitor to both the DVI as well as the VGA ports on the motherboard.

i also tried using just one ramstick at a time and believe i did so in the right slot because i used the mobo layout manual as a reference

Poultrygeist

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015

yes they have confirmed the CPU was connected correctly. i used PCpartpicker to determine if a 450W PSU would be enough and according to them it is. i do have a 650W PSU sitting in my current PC though.

Go ahead and try the 650.

At this point I dont want to just assume the shop checked everything.
Remove and reseat the ram and gpu, make sure ram is in slots indicated on motherboard manual for that configuraiton (one stick, 2, stock, 4 stick, etc)
If you have any other addon cards (wifi, etc) remove them for the moment
Make sure 24pin power cable is plugged in good, 4/8 pin EPS (CPU) cable is plugged in, GPU power cables plugged in.
Also make sure they plugged in good at PSU (and in correct slot)
Make sure cpu fan is plugged in.
For testing go ahead and disconnect the hard drives and optical drives from motherbaord and power.

Poultrygeist

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015

ok i will have to do that tomorrow since the PC itself is still with the PC guys in the shop. i will post the results tomorrow. thanks so far :)

TRENDING THREADS