Nov 6, 2019
System:

i7-4790k
Z79X Gaming 7 Mobo
32g Kingston 1866c DDR3 RAM
RTX 2070 Super
Corsair H100iGTX Liquid Cooling
Windows 10

I recently started getting random restarts in the last few weeks. No warnings and completely random. Sometimes during gaming, sometimes during browsing and sometimes during complete idle. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what's wrong.

I have ran memtest86 twice overnight with no issues. I have stress tested with Prime95 with no issues. I have updated drivers, turned off windows automatic driver updates (as I heard these can cause issues with trying to install display driver updates after removing drivers via DDU which I did to ensure clean install of nvidia drivers) and I'm reaching the end of my capabilities.

I am not getting any dumps to be able to troubleshoot this (the only minidump in there is from last month), so I am suspecting the problem is at hardware level. The only info I have to go off is the eventlogs which just show me the usual kernel-power id41 and nothing else that is jumping out as dire.

I had recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2070 Super, the only hardware change I have made in a long time and am thinking something might be off. I still have my old GTX980 and am thinking of putting this back in to see if the crashes go away. But they are so random that sometimes it takes a day or two of using for it to happen.
As for the rig having enough power for the 2070, I have a Thermaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475w PSU so I think that should be ample.

Does anyone have any experience with these shutdowns and no logs? I'm not sure the best way to troubleshoot this. Would love some ideas on how to find the cause.

Solution
Your error is likely caused by the computer being shut down or restarted unexpectedly. It can be caused by a loss of power. But it can also be caused by other things such as not running the most current version of Windows 10 or having un-seated a RAM module. You should probably re-check the components inside your case to see if perhaps a RAM module isn't fully seated. You should also check to make sure that your GeForce drivers are all up-to-date. If you have fast start-up enabled you may want to disable that as well. At the bare minimum you will probably need to run chkdsk on your hard disk.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Your error is likely caused by the computer being shut down or restarted unexpectedly. It can be caused by a loss of power. But it can also be caused by other things such as not running the most current version of Windows 10 or having un-seated a RAM module. You should probably re-check the components inside your case to see if perhaps a RAM module isn't fully seated. You should also check to make sure that your GeForce drivers are all up-to-date. If you have fast start-up enabled you may want to disable that as well. At the bare minimum you will probably need to run chkdsk on your hard disk.

Solution
Nov 6, 2019

Hey Juan thanks for commenting. I have checked all my components are seated and plugged in correctly, everything is up-to-date, GeForce drivers were uninstalled via DDU and then reinstalled with latest and fast start up is disabled. Funny you should mention chkdsk though as I was just going through the eventlogs even more thoroughly and noticed that whenever windows ran event 98 on my two drives is when immediately after I would get the Kernel-Power 41 crash. It's funny as the event 98 returned no errors ever and always said "(such and such)is healthy. No action is needed." After noticing that the crash happens always directly after this I ran a check on both disks and found that one of the drives did indeed have errors and needed to be repaired.

It has been repaired now and I just have to wait now to see if this resolves the issue. I hope so.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero