[SOLVED] How to find the touchpad manufacturer?

Apr 4, 2019
Hello all, my laptop is Acer Aspire A515-52-394A. Acer website shows two drivers available for my model, one is for synaptics, the other is for elantech. Unfortunately i dont know which of the two is the manufacturer of my touchpad, so i have installed them both but it makes no difference - in the mouse properties i dont have the option for the touchpad settings. My touchpad is working, but i need the advanced settings in the mouse properties. Please check the 4 screenshots . I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers in device manager, but again with no difference. I will be very glad if someone could give me any advice, thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello and thanks for the reply! This is how it looks after a fresh new windows 10 install. As you can see, the the first entry in the hardware ids has "SYNA" in its name so i guess it is indeed synaptics. After installing the driver from the Acer`s website the advanced settings in the mouse properties are still missing. I have also checked the Microsoft store and there was nothing that could be installed on my machine. You can also see that on the touchpad settings it says "precision touchpad", so if i have understood correctly this means that the additional settings are now integrated in the windows itself and its impossible to have them in the mouse properties? Thanks again for your assistance
That sounds about right. If...
Hey there Gerard.

First, uninstall both touchpad drivers. Then whatever you're left with in Device Manager for the touhcpad, right-click on it > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs. Copy the first entry in the list and search for it online (search engine doesn't matter). Search results should tell you the exact vendor, then you can go back to Acer's drivers page and get the correct one.

As for the settings/features you're looking for, though, a lot of those are done away with in lieu of the touchpad controls integrated into the Windows 10 mouse/touchpad settings. If you happen to have a "Precision Touchpad," you'll likely have to go through these settings. You can try searching for the Synaptics or Elantech (whichever one you figure out that you have) utility in the Microsoft store, but no guarantees it's available or will work.

Apr 4, 2019
Hello and thanks for the reply! This is how it looks after a fresh new windows 10 install. As you can see, the first entry in the hardware ids has "SYNA" in its name so i guess it is indeed synaptics. After installing the driver from the Acer`s website the advanced settings in the mouse properties are still missing. I have also checked the Microsoft store and there was nothing that could be installed on my machine. You can also see that on the touchpad settings it says "precision touchpad", so if i have understood correctly this means that the additional settings are now integrated in the windows itself and its impossible to have them in the mouse properties? Thanks again for your assistance

Last edited:
Hello and thanks for the reply! This is how it looks after a fresh new windows 10 install. As you can see, the the first entry in the hardware ids has "SYNA" in its name so i guess it is indeed synaptics. After installing the driver from the Acer`s website the advanced settings in the mouse properties are still missing. I have also checked the Microsoft store and there was nothing that could be installed on my machine. You can also see that on the touchpad settings it says "precision touchpad", so if i have understood correctly this means that the additional settings are now integrated in the windows itself and its impossible to have them in the mouse properties? Thanks again for your assistance
That sounds about right. If I recall correctly, Microsoft is attempting to simplify things in Windows 10 and are moving to DCH drivers, so we probably won't be seeing any touchpad utilities from the vendors (Synaptics or Elantech) on most systems (unless offered in the Microsoft store). Sorry to say that you're probably stuck with only the integrated options in the Windows settings menus.

Solution