[SOLVED] How to fit Nvidia T-600 into a 4X Slot ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,
I am buying a New Dell workstation 3660 . They will install 2 Nvidia T-600 graphics cards which will run 8 monitors.

I have 12 Monitors ( 1920x12200 Resolution )

Now there is only one 4X slot left where another 16X card will not fit.

Is there a way to run 3rd full length 16X graphics card Nvidia T-600 which will run 4 more monitors ?

This workstation does have latest USB 3.2 Type C ports & two Display Ports.

Can I use a 4X to 16X Riser card & place 3rd graphics card there ? Would the bandwidth be enough from 4X slot ?

Any other ideas ?

Thank You

Solution
If you are extremely careful you can cut away the end of the PCIe slot between the pins to let a longer card fit directly in the slot. They makes slots like that in certain professional grade boards. They avoid it on consumer boards mostly because they put obstructions in the way of longer cards. These days the biggest problem would be the M.2 slots.
Hi,
I am buying a New Dell workstation 3660 . They will install 2 Nvidia T-600 graphics cards which will run 8 monitors.

I have 12 Monitors ( 1920x12200 Resolution )

Now there is only one 4X slot left where another 16X card will not fit.

Is there a way to run 3rd full length 16X graphics card Nvidia T-600 which will run 4 more monitors ?

This workstation does have latest USB 3.2 Type C ports & two Display Ports.

Can I use a 4X to 16X Riser card & place 3rd graphics card there ? Would the bandwidth be enough from 4X slot ?

Any other ideas ?

Thank You
The bandwith may suffer on x4 but that depends on how much workload you give to the x4 slot, so the bandwith will be limited to x4.

a riser would be good idea to connect those. Mostly if you do dual x16 slot and it support bifurication but not an enthusiast/workstation motherboard, and does not give x16 lanes to other x16 slot, it will be running at x8/x8. those cards usually dont suffer on x8 lanes.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are extremely careful you can cut away the end of the PCIe slot between the pins to let a longer card fit directly in the slot. They makes slots like that in certain professional grade boards. They avoid it on consumer boards mostly because they put obstructions in the way of longer cards. These days the biggest problem would be the M.2 slots.

Solution

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The bandwith may suffer on x4 but that depends on how much workload you give to the x4 slot, so the bandwith will be limited to x4.

I am using Three age old AMD FirePro 2460, 512 MB GPUs for last 10 years on Dell Workstation T-7500 to run 12 Monitors ( 24" each) ( 1920x1200 ) & so far haven't run into much problem.
a riser would be good idea to connect those. Mostly if you do dual x16 slot and it support bifurication but not an enthusiast/workstation motherboard, and does not give x16 lanes to other x16 slot, it will be running at x8/x8. those cards usually dont suffer on x8 lanes.

I configured this latest Dell workstation 3660 & it allows me to choose two Nvidia T-600 cards. So would putting a riser on last empty slot x4 cause any problems ?

I am using Three age old AMD FirePro 2460, 512 MB GPUs for last 10 years on Dell Workstation T-7500 to run 12 Monitors ( 24" each) ( 1920x1200 ) & so far haven't run into much problem.

I configured this latest Dell workstation 3660 & it allows me to choose two Nvidia T-600 cards. So would putting a riser on last empty slot x4 cause any problems ?
Nope, it wont. Try it yourself :D

Reactions: dan99t

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

I am no expert at cutting & it definitely would void the warranty. How about something like this riser cable ?
https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-Express-Female-Mining-Extension/dp/B086GKWDHJ

OR
How many monitors can I run with 2 DP & 2 USB 3.2 Type C Ports ? &

Would I need different drivers besides the ones for Nvidia T-600 ?

It has dedicated Three M.2 ports so no problem there.