Question How to fix 100% service host:dcom server process launcher?

Dec 13, 2022
hello! so ~1 month ago my laptop has suddenly been spiking to 100% cpu and the cause of this issue is service host: dcom server process launcher. I’ve looked through forums online and managed to lessen the spiking to 1-2 minutes at a time, and only when idle. i do have a feeling that this is caused by a virus of some sort because the problem still persists.
Is there a way to isolate this issue? any help would be great. thanks in advance!

note: im not very good with computers so please forgive me if the info here is not a lot to go off on, i’d be happy to provide more details if needed!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i do have a feeling that this is caused by a virus of some sort because the problem still persists.
Run malwarebytes if you suspect it to be the work of a stowaway.

Curious, where did you source the installer for your OS?

my laptop
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. Can you see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? Use CPU-Z to tell you the BIOS version(listed under Mainboard tab). Your laptop's make and model/SKU will be on the underside of your laptop.

I’ve looked through forums online and managed to lessen the spiking to 1-2 minutes at a time, and only when idle
Could you provide links to what you've tried to eventually come across this forum thread?

Dec 13, 2022
hello! give me a moment:

1. i’ve ran malwarebytes, there were no viruses seen but i ran adwcleaner and it got a PUP-something something (i shut down my laptop, will get back to you asap hopefully)
  2. i got my os from windows update, if thats what you’re asking? i bought it at win10 then updated to 11 when it came up
  3. again, my laptop is currently shut down, i will get back to this asap!!
  4. i’ve asked on the microsoft answers forum (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nd-makes/4dee696a-cdfa-4a01-8caf-c857761a39ed) and looked at threads like this (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11/47265b2c-9503-4d11-9d3a-66e049cf61d2) and this (View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tmefx4/service_host_dcom_server_process_launcher_using/
    )
i’ll try to find time to start up my laptop again later to give you some missing details, sorry for the inconvenience

edit: my model is a Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05! i checked under my laptop

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i do have a feeling that this is caused by a virus of some sort because the problem still persists.
Run malwarebytes if you suspect it to be the work of a stowaway.

Curious, where did you source the installer for your OS?

my laptop
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. Can you see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? Use CPU-Z to tell you the BIOS version(listed under Mainboard tab). Your laptop's make and model/SKU will be on the underside of your laptop.

I’ve looked through forums online and managed to lessen the spiking to 1-2 minutes at a time, and only when idle
Could you provide links to what you've tried to eventually come across this forum thread?
hello! it’s been a few days and i was wondering if there’s a response? i sent a reply a few days ago :0 lmk if i need to provide anything else

Lutfij

Titan
i bought it at win10
Got a link to that? Do you mean from Microsoft's official product site?

i got my os from windows update, if thats what you’re asking? i bought it at win10 then updated to 11 when it came up
You're advised to perform a clean install of Windows 11 if you went through the internal upgrade process, i.e, Windows 10>Windows 11. You can use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your bootable USB installer for both OSes, just that you need two USB drives to prevent one installer formatting and overwriting the other OS installer.

You didn't get back to my laptop BIOS question...

Colif

Win 11 Master
try this

right click start
choose Terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as Powershell, click the drop down arrow in title row and choose from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Dec 13, 2022
try this

right click start
choose Terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as Powershell, click the drop down arrow in title row and choose from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

hi!! i did what you asked, here’s what came up:
View: https://imgur.com/a/queW2on

i’m assuming that m computer did not find any issues whatsoever 🫠

Dec 13, 2022
i bought it at win10
Got a link to that? Do you mean from Microsoft's official product site?

i got my os from windows update, if thats what you’re asking? i bought it at win10 then updated to 11 when it came up
You're advised to perform a clean install of Windows 11 if you went through the internal upgrade process, i.e, Windows 10>Windows 11. You can use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your bootable USB installer for both OSes, just that you need two USB drives to prevent one installer formatting and overwriting the other OS installer.

You didn't get back to my laptop BIOS question...
Hi! i currently don’t have a usb to reinstall windows, so i’ll have to put that off for now.

i meant that i bought the laptop and it came with windows 10 already!! sorry for the confusion

as for the BIOS, i think it’s LENOVO EUCN31WW? im not sure if this is the one i’m looking for though T___T

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022
there is also small chance that your account got corrupted, which can cause high dcom:server cpu usage, can you create new account and reboot and log into it to see if CPU usage will be fine?

unfortunately, i already transferred most of my stuff to a new account before ;00 it did help a bit—instead of constant 100%s it would only spike for minutes at a time but the problem is still there

ill get the performance toolkit when i have access to my computer- hopefully later today or tomorrow!

Lutfij

Titan
Use your serial number in this portal:
I see two SKU's show up when looking for a Legion 5-15ARH05.

The BIOS versions that show up as the latest is different for both. If your laptop is the non-H variant, i.e, your laptop isn't the Legion 5-15ARH05H then you have a BIOS update pending, i.e, EUCN39WW, provided you gave the right model for your laptop.

Dec 13, 2022
Use your serial number in this portal:
I see two SKU's show up when looking for a Legion 5-15ARH05.

The BIOS versions that show up as the latest is different for both. If your laptop is the non-H variant, i.e, your laptop isn't the Legion 5-15ARH05H then you have a BIOS update pending, i.e, EUCN39WW, provided you gave the right model for your laptop.
ohh i see. should i update my bios then? will that fix the problem? :0

Lutfij

Titan
Not everything we say can and will solve problems, we provide suggestions that might help you get one step closer to a resolution.

Just an FYI, usually when you see resource usages in your OS being high for no apparent reason, it could be;
a corrupt installer/the OS went South during an update and usually the solution there is that your OS needs a reinstall just be sure that your data is backed up.
a BIOS update was pending that would help resolve any issues on the OS side of things.

Another FYI, Lenovo's BIOS updates don't take effect until you've run the installer(executable) and then proceed to a reboot of the unit. When running any executable that is pertaining to a driver install, always do so in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.