[SOLVED] how to fix a geforce 8600 gt not working ?

Jun 20, 2021
My Ge force 8600 GT has stopped working.I came with fixed with HP 8430f Media tower running Vista 64 Sp2, which has a 300 PSU. W
hat can I replace it with. I do not want to spend too much as I do not play games.

Solution
The 8600 was part of the generation with the infamous silcon wafer defect, where the layers would separate and it cannot be repaired. It first came to light in Apple laptops, but was since discovered to affect all Geforce 8 cards.

A GT710 would still be a better card with a lower power requirement.

USAFRet

Titan
My Ge force 8600 GT has stopped working.I came with fixed with HP 8430f Media tower running Vista 64 Sp2, which has a 300 PSU. W
hat can I replace it with. I do not want to spend too much as I do not play games.
First, you must determine the actual problem.
Could be the GPU.
But it also could be the PSU, the motherboard, or just about anything else in a 15 year old system.

"I do not want to spend too much" = how much?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
oof, that rig is way too old like usafret told ya. it could be literally ANYTHING. A gt 710/730? But then again, are you ABSOLUTELY MOST POSITIVE it is the gpu not functioning? If so i think since you don't game a 710 would be enough for that system.

Also, not to make fun of you, but i can only imagine the quality of that "300" w psu xD in such a rig.

Parts do not last forever. Most likely, the 8600gt has failed.

Can you remove it and use the vga output on the back of your motherboard as a test?
300w is plenty for a graphics card that does not need aux 6 pin power.

If you only need display capability, A replacement 8600GT will sell for $10 to $20 on ebay.
That would be the simplest solution, requiring no driver updates.

If you want fast action capability like for some games, you can buy something much stronger like a GTX750ti which sells for $50-$100 on ebay. It would be ok with a 300w psu.

Jun 20, 2021
PC has on board VGA that is working fine. I installed a used 8600 GT from Ebay and that too failed. May be I'll go for the GT 710 as suggested here because I am not playing video games. 8600 GT is not a full length card. It's a PCI . I wonder is 710 GT is the same ?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The 8600 was part of the generation with the infamous silcon wafer defect, where the layers would separate and it cannot be repaired. It first came to light in Apple laptops, but was since discovered to affect all Geforce 8 cards.

A GT710 would still be a better card with a lower power requirement.

Last edited:
Solution