Dec 20, 2020
My dear friends, I have a huge problem. A problem that I have searched and searched over dozens of forums, google search results, YouTube videos and more and none have seemed to face my exact problem, so here it is, in detail:

A few days ago, I was just browsing the web and watching some YouTube videos when my PC randomly shut off (there was no BSOD) and it immediately started to turn back on but it restarted when it got to the main Windows loading screen and where it “sometimes” says Preparing Automatic Repair (more on this in a moment) at the bottom. It then automatically restarts again and crashes on loading screen again and it repeats this process until I decide to give up and force turn off the PC for good. More confusingly the “Preparing Automatic Repair” only shows up on every 2nd or 3rd automatic reboot whereas it will just show the loading animation and windows logo minus that text but the whole situation is completely the same. Now, here’s where my problem is unique based on solutions I have searched everywhere for:

My PC gives me no options to boot into Safe Mode and the entire Automatic Repair is completely broken and can’t be booted into due to my aforementioned bootloop issue. To try to fix this, I decided to bite the bullet so the speak and just reset the whole damn PC- except, I can’t. To explain: the computer still boots into the BIOS if I use the keyboard shortcuts and still displays all my drives, RAM, CPU info, etc but when I tell my BIOS to boot to my windows setup flash drive....... the process is the SAME! Same bootloop restart. You will clearly see the computer trying to boot into the setup for a split second but once again it is a nonstop rinse, cycle, repeat bootloop. So, I with even the Windows setup failing to load, I began every troubleshooting tactic you can think off:

I removed my SSD and tried to boot to flash drive again with a different drive; same issue. I removed each RAM stick and tested each individually; same issue. I unplugged my pSU and plugged it back in; same issue. I tried to update my BIOS to a new version but my motherboard could not find the update file on my flash drive for the life of me, so I gave up my attempts on trying to update my mobo bios to see if that was the issue. I also couldn’t swap out for another CPU as that was the only one I had on me, and same goes for my power supply. So based on my analysis, I think something maybe corrupt in my motherboard but since I can still go into BIOS setup, I am unsure. I also do not know if it is CPU since it is still detected in BIOS. And l am unsure if it is my PSU as everything seems to power fine and it isn’t an “automatic” bootloop but rather you can still clearly see the display and everything working normally but it restarts on any loading screen whether it is my installed OS or trying to reinstall Windows from a flash drive. I have gotten nowhere and it is sucking the life out of me. At this point I just feel I should replace the mobo to see if that is my issue, but I am just not sure what exactly is causing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I do not mind buying replacement parts if you guys can tell me exactly which component is causing my issue. As for specs, here they are:

Mobo: MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 DDR4
SSD (Boot Drive): WD Black SN750 nvme 1TB
Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition
Sound Card: Creative Blaster Audigy RX
Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro
Power Supply: Corsair RM750X

Also to note, PC was originally an Origin PC build that I bought over a year ago but I have since upgraded myself and I have reinstalled Windows with a normal reinstall due to me losing their included recovery flash drive that I was supposed to use for the PC. I mention this just in case this could also be the issue but it surely shouldn’t be as my Windows has ran fine just on me manually reinstalling all my drivers but ever since that random crash, the PC just can’t boot into anything. Thanks for your time guys and much help would be appreciated. Cheers

Solution
Final Update: Issue turned out to be a faulty CPU. After replacing motherboard, my issues continued, so I also got a replacement processor from Best Buy and it was able to load into Windows just fine. I hope this helps anybody else who may run into this issue although I know buying a new CPU can be expensive. Take care all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
More confusingly the “Preparing Automatic Repair” only shows up on every 2nd or 3rd automatic reboot whereas it will just show the loading animation and windows logo minus that text but the whole situation is completely the same.
its only meant to show up on every 3rd failed boot attempt. that part is working as intended.

you can't get into safe mode unless you can at least get into the options screen that shows up after auto repair doesn't do anything.
if you can get into those
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.
(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)
C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

To try to fix this, I decided to bite the bullet so the speak and just reset the whole damn PC- except, I can’t. To explain: the computer still boots into the BIOS if I use the keyboard shortcuts and still displays all my drives, RAM, CPU info, etc but when I tell my BIOS to boot to my windows setup flash drive....... the process is the SAME!

your bios has boot over ride mode (Page 55 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v2.2.pdf)
put USB in at start-up
go into bios
leave boot order as it was before, boot drive at top if it was
go to Save & Exit screen
choose boot over ride
pick USB from list
PC will restart and boot from the USB this one time, then next start-up it will revert to normal.

Reactions: The7969
Dec 20, 2020
its only meant to show up on every 3rd failed boot attempt. that part is working as intended.

you can't get into safe mode unless you can at least get into the options screen that shows up after auto repair doesn't do anything.
if you can get into those
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.
(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)
C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

your bios has boot over ride mode (Page 55 here - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v2.2.pdf)
put USB in at start-up
go into bios
leave boot order as it was before, boot drive at top if it was
go to Save & Exit screen
choose boot over ride
pick USB from list
PC will restart and boot from the USB this one time, then next start-up it will revert to normal.

Thanks for the reply. This whole situation has been a massive fog taking over my mind slowly causing me lose sight of any hope for fixing my problem. I have done what you said, but my Mobo still decided to shut off as the computer was just beginning to boot into the flash drive. This is the same no matter what settings I attempt to use. As for my broken automatic repair, it also does try to load into some sort of screen on occasion but the computer shuts back off before it has the opportunity to provide me with what could be my saving grace. I also have tried reset my BIOS by removing the CMOS battery but my problem is like the plague; it just continues to persist despite my best efforts.

Overall, I am still not sure what causes my issue, unless the initial non-BSOD crash that occured before this problem began may have caused a short circuit somewhere that is preventing my bootloader and automatic repair from working properly. So could it be a PSU issue? Could it be my CPU? My motherboard? I haven't the foggiest clue..... Except One.

When my motherboard refused to let me update it's BIOS whether by M-Flash directly in BIOS or by using the Flash Button on the back of my motherboard, it makes me feel as if something is wrong with the board somewhere. I have tested my m.2 drive in a laptop and it still works perfectly so atleast that is out of the question. My ram didn't change anything when trying different sticks and so that's why I am labeling my CPU, PSU, or Mobo as the cause but I am leaning towards my Mobo due to it's refusal to detect my updated BIOS file.

I appreciate all the help you guys can give me and I thank you all for taking time out of your day to respond, and if I ever manage to get Automatic Repair to finish loading in then I will try what has been suggested but if I am unable to do that and if all else fails, I will replace my Mobo in about a week and half from now and whether that will fix it or not, I will update you all accordingly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When my motherboard refused to let me update it's BIOS whether by M-Flash directly in BIOS or by using the Flash Button on the back of my motherboard, it makes me feel as if something is wrong with the board somewhere.
this is the first you told us about this aspect.

I would perhaps get PC looked at by a repair store as they should be able to identify problem for you. Beats trying to guess.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
SSD (Boot Drive): WD Black SN750 nvme 1TB
Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition
Sound Card: Creative Blaster Audigy RX
Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro
Power Supply: Corsair RM750X
What if you disconnect all of this and try a bios update again by using the flashbutton on the back. Make sure the usb stick is in the right connector! It's the one right beside the button.

Dec 20, 2020
Thanks guys. This has just stumped me beyond belief. I appreciate all the help so far and will update once I find the solution so if somebody else faces my problem then they come here for the fix. :)

Reactions: Vic 40
Dec 20, 2020
Final Update: Issue turned out to be a faulty CPU. After replacing motherboard, my issues continued, so I also got a replacement processor from Best Buy and it was able to load into Windows just fine. I hope this helps anybody else who may run into this issue although I know buying a new CPU can be expensive. Take care all.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution