Question How to Fix Annoying Bright LED Lights?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

TL : DR - I need to 'tone down'; or completely block out the light from some super bright LEDS semi-permanently.

I have some items I use with my PC with super insanely bright LEDs which drive me nuts; and I'm looking for the best solutions to fix this problem in a way that won't cause any marking/damage (eg sticky tape etc) and/or over heating?

I would prefer solutions to be semi-permanent - so they can easily be undone.

Let me be clear - the photos simply do not give you the real sense of just how crazy bright they are - it's nuts how much they stand out - especially the blue on the Monitors.

These are three main options for solutions - as far as I can see:

1. Partial coverage of LEDS/Light
  2. Total coverage of LEDS/Light
  3. Ideal solution would give me the flexibility to do both when I feel like it?
As indicated above - Partial coverage might be useful - to still be able to see that these items are turned on - to remind me to turn them off when I'm done with the PC.... but maybe not - not sure?

That's why it might be a good option to be able to 'tone down' the brightness' but still see it?

Obviously I'd prefer everything to be black and matte - to be dark as possible so as not to be distracting.

In my case - I have Studio Monitors (Presonus Eris-E8's); which sit either side of my Monitor/Screen.
This makes the crazy bright LEDs incredibly visible - all the damn time - no matter what you are doing.

Here are some photos as examples...

If I'm just browsing online (reading) or using documents etc - it is super annoying, and distracting even then.
But of course - if I'm watching Youtube or gaming - it's soo much worse/more distracting (especially with visually dark content).

I also have a Roland Octa Capture audio interface which sits to the left and below the left Studio Monitor.
You would think this wouldn't be any where near as distracting - but you'd be wrong.

It's still very much in my field of vision no matter how I sit.
Worse - that also has different coloured buttons (some red/blue) and the added big LED White screen too.

I need something that won't mark/damage either the Monitors or the Audio Interface.
Not just cause I hate doing anything like that - but also - maybe one day I might want to sell them and upgrade (though unlikely).

The one other concern I have is with the Audio Interface...

I need a solution that won't cause it to overheat as it is metal on top and probably should stay pretty clear/not covered?
It's always warm-slightly warm - but I don't think it gets super hot?
But trying to err on the side of caution.

I've been lazy of late and have been using a sheet of printer paper folded in half to hang over the LED's on the front - but that does cover that metal top which isn't ideal; and it's too visible in itself (should be black not white).

So I need better solutions.... ideas?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

TL : DR - I need to 'tone down'; or completely block out - super bright LEDS semi-permanently.

I have some items I use with my PC with super insanely bright LED which drive me nuts; and I'm looking for the best solution to fix this problem in a way that won't cause any marking/damage (eg sticky tape etc) and/or over heating? Would prefer solutions to be semi-permanent - so they can easily be undone.

Let me be clear - the photos simply do not give you the real sense of just how crazy bright they are - it's nuts how much they stand out - especially the blue on the Monitors.

There are three main options for solutions as far as I can see:

1. Partial coverage of LEDS/Light
  2. Total coverage of LEDS/Light
  3. Ideal solution would give me the flexibility to do both when I feel like it?
As indicated above - it might be useful to still be able to see that these items are turned on - to remind me to turn them off when I'm done with the PC.... but maybe not - not sure?
That's why it might be a good option to be able to 'tone down' the brightness' but still see it?

Obviously I'd prefer everything to be black to be dark as possible.

In my case - I have Studio Monitors (Presonus Eris-E8's); which sit either side of my Monitor/Screen.
This makes the crazy bright LEDs incredibly visible - all the damn time - now matter what you are doing.

Here are some photos as examples...

If I'm just browsing online (reading) or using documents etc - it is super annoying, and distracting even then.
But of course - if I'm watching Youtube or gaming - it's soo much worse/more distracting (especially with visually dark content).

I also have a Roland Octa Capture audio interface which sits to the left and below the left Studio Monitor.
You would think this wouldn't be any where near as distracting - but you'd be wrong. It's still very much in my field of vision no matter how I sit.
Worse - that also has different coloured buttons (some red/blue) and the added big LED White screen too.

I need something that won't mark/damage either the Monitors or the Audio Interface.
Not just cause I hate doing anything like that - but also - maybe one day I might want to sell them and upgrade (though unlikely).

The on concern I have is with the Audio Interface... I need a solution that won't cause it to overheat as it is metal on top and probably should stay pretty clear/not covered?
I've been lazy and been using a sheet of printer paper folded in half to hang over the LED's but that does cover that metal top which isn't ideal; and it's too visible in itself (should be black).

So I need better solutions.... ideas?

Thanks for your help
I use this dimming film -- https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Original-Strength-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSJNCW for LEDs in my bedroom.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hey @kanewolf

Interesting option... have you ever tried removing them after years?
Have you had any problems with them?
Any surfaces you found they didn't like/stick to well?
Have you tried putting several on top of each other?

Cheers

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
hey @USAFRet

Wouldn't electrical tape be sticky/mark/dirty after a long time if you try to remove it?

Can you show me some photos of an example re '3D print a translucent cover'?
Curious to see what you've got and how it looks with/without in the dark?

Cheers

USAFRet

Titan
hey @USAFRet

Wouldn't electrical tape be sticky/mark/dirty after a long time if you try to remove it?

Can you show me some photos of an example re '3D print a translucent cover'?
Curious to see what you've got and how it looks with/without in the dark?

Cheers
Elec tape residue would easily clean off.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the 3D cover thing.
But basically, it is just a piece of translucent plastic that hangs over the front of the enclosure. Blocks off almost all the stupidly bright blue LEDs. Lets just enough shine through to see it is working.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hey @kanewolf

Interesting option... have you ever tried removing them after years?
Have you had any problems with them?
Any surfaces you found they didn't like/stick to well?
Have you tried putting several on top of each other?

Cheers
Yes. The are static cling stick, not adhesive. I use them over an entire LED clock face (large sheet) and some of the small ones over individual LEDs on a cable box. They need a smooth surface to cling to.

TRENDING THREADS