Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
I have a Envy 20 computer that will not boot up into window nor can I get into bios. It started with a flickering problem when I was in windows; working properly at this time. After doing some research, I found out that the bios need to be updated then the graphic cards. I updated the bios; only for the computer to freeze at 25%. After a few minute later, I reset the computer.

Once back in window, I begin to update the graphic card instead. Computer soon crashes. After computer crashes, I can only get to logo screen. I assume at first that the HDD has crashed and needs replacing. I eventually replace the HDD. I realize I cannot get into Bios. I realize the screen is flickering and figure out that their is something wrong with the bios. I reset the bios by taking the CMOS out and in. I do wait for a minute when the CMOS is out. Still, cannot get into Bios.

When trying to get into Bios using a keyboard a screen will pop up, but it is not the Bios. It is a screen that tell me data like what processor is in there speed; memory size or ram; Channel A and B; Bios Revision/date. When at this screen, by pressing f2 first I can get the word Diagnostic to pop up at the bottom and if I press F10 first I can get the word setup at the bottom. I cannot do anything else.

I have looked into this computer model and I found this computer has had a history with corrupt Bios and bad motherboards. I have thought about updating the Bios again using a flash drive; but I do not think it will recognize the flash drives. If the problem is the motherboard then there is no fixing it. Is there anyone that know how to fix this problem or is this computer a lost cause?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Ok so when you took out the cmos battery, did you unplug the psu cord from the wall? If not do so and keep the battery out five minutes. Then attempt to reinstall the bios. Right now it seems your bios is corrupted because you stopped, or the system froze, and was turned off during that. Not good news. Corrupted bios can be the death of your motherboard. If you get the bios to reinstall let it be, it can take a while for it to load, people get impatient, not saying you did, and think there is something wrong and stop the installation.
Ok so when you took out the cmos battery, did you unplug the psu cord from the wall? If not do so and keep the battery out five minutes. Then attempt to reinstall the bios. Right now it seems your bios is corrupted because you stopped, or the system froze, and was turned off during that. Not good news. Corrupted bios can be the death of your motherboard. If you get the bios to reinstall let it be, it can take a while for it to load, people get impatient, not saying you did, and think there is something wrong and stop the installation.

Solution

Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
Sorry for the late response. I believe you are right and it is a lost cause. Thank you for the help.