How to fix bootmgr is missing

ctkientz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
So I recently bought a new solid state drive for my pc that had been running on a hard drive. Once I installed the ssd I activated it in the disk manager. I wanted to get Windows on it so I tried just straight up copy and pasting but obviously that didn't work, so I went onto BIOS and switched the boot priority to the ssd, tried to boot it, and then switched it back to the hard drive, and now every time I try to boot from the hard drive it comes up with the error bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart. any help?

Solution
Your options with an SSD are to utilize cloning software (many free options available) or a clean install (preferred).

Copy/pasting doesn't work, but unless you moved things around, the boot mgr should still be present. That is strange.

Which OS are you running? You can create bootable media for Windows 10 by downloading the ISO, creating a bootable USB or disk, booting from it & using the 'repair' option. That'll rebuild your boot manager.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your options with an SSD are to utilize cloning software (many free options available) or a clean install (preferred).

Copy/pasting doesn't work, but unless you moved things around, the boot mgr should still be present. That is strange.

Which OS are you running? You can create bootable media for Windows 10 by downloading the ISO, creating a bootable USB or disk, booting from it & using the 'repair' option. That'll rebuild your boot manager.

Solution

ctkientz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016

I tried that booting without the ssd plugged in, and I just tried a few different ways to create a bootable usb stick and all it ended up doing was erasing the usb.