[SOLVED] How to fix bufflebloat?/good internet but high ping/ms

Nightaker

Prominent
Aug 12, 2020
lately i have high pings like 100+ to 1000 ms/ping in certain games that's going on for weeks i think
i have a good download speed but i have a bad ping/ms like not only in games but in discord too sometimes i think
and i checked in the http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest to check my bufflebloat score and its low its always on D or C sometimes i have noticed its F and i checked earlier when i switch my internet to wifi it had better score[C-D] than ethernet [F]

Solution
You misunderstand that site. It will cause bufferbloat on every internet connection in existence. It is used to test that you have properly implemented the QoS that prevent bufferbloat.

So just because that site says you have bufferbloat does not mean you actually do.

Bufferbloat is actually a symptom of a different issue rather than a problem itself. ISP to avoid discarding data which can cause performance issues will place data that exceed the data rate you purchase into bufffers. This actually increases the performance for every application except online games which is why they do it.

The key here...Bufferbloat only occurs when you have exceeded the bandwidth you purchase.

So why are you exceeding the bandwidth...
You misunderstand that site. It will cause bufferbloat on every internet connection in existence. It is used to test that you have properly implemented the QoS that prevent bufferbloat.

So just because that site says you have bufferbloat does not mean you actually do.

Bufferbloat is actually a symptom of a different issue rather than a problem itself. ISP to avoid discarding data which can cause performance issues will place data that exceed the data rate you purchase into bufffers. This actually increases the performance for every application except online games which is why they do it.

The key here...Bufferbloat only occurs when you have exceeded the bandwidth you purchase.

So why are you exceeding the bandwidth that is more the problem. There really are only 2 solutions you buy more bandwidth or you control the applications that are using up all the bandwidth. Most download programs you can limit how much they use.

If you are not exceeding your bandwidth then the problem is not bufferbloat.

You need to do some more extensive testing to find the actual problem. Just because you saw a red number on some tool does not mean that is your problem.

Run ping commands to your router IP and the first ISP router IP. These tend to be things you can control or get fixed. You can run things like pathping or ping game servers but there is very little you can do if the ping spikes are in another ISP network.

Solution