Question How to fix corrupted USB?

Aug 14, 2021
My USB was okay a few days ago. I had some files in that USB (songs). But yesterday when I plugged my USB into my laptop- it says that the USB needs to be formatted. I pressed okay but I got a pop up window that says it can't be formatted.

I right clicked on the USB icon and I went to properties. I clicked on tools. I clicked on error checking and I got this message "the disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted. Would you like to format the disk?"

I clicked yes.

I clicked on the start button for formatting but I got a message that said "windows was unable to complete the format"

I changed the file system to FAT32 in the drop down menu and it still says "windows was unable to complete the format"

I changed the file system to NTFS in the drop down menu and it still says "windows was unable to complete the format"

I tried exFAT and it still says "windows was unable to complete the format"

What should I do now to fix this corrupted usb?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021
I had a similar issue with the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB version. In that case, both devices stopped being recognized by the computer. Neither was recoverable without sending to a recovery company for $$$. Instead, I returned them under the lifetime warranty and received two new ones which have worked perfectly since.
If you do not have anything critical on them, contact SanDisk for advice. Otherwise, begin contacting data recovery companies.
What is the cause of this SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive getting corrupted?