Question How to fix CPU bottleneck?

Dec 22, 2019
Hey!

So i have a quite good graphics card RTX 2060 and my CPU is i5 6400. In games that i play the picture gets stuck sometimes or freezes and this kinda stuff happens. I think that is a CPU bottleneck. What are the ways to reduce the bottlenecking, can't buy a new CPU right now. Also I have 1x8GB 1866Mhz RAM. Can adding better/faster RAM help a bit? Also my motherboard is MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS.
Any help would be appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
Before swapping CPUs, I believe you need to get a matched set of two DIMMs. Your freezing could definitely be a memory capacity/performance problem. The resolution you run also plays a big part in the CPU/GPU performance balance. If you are running at 1080p you are more likely to have a CPU limitation than if you are running at 1440p.

Dec 22, 2019
Before swapping CPUs, I believe you need to get a matched set of two DIMMs. Your freezing could definitely be a memory capacity/performance problem. The resolution you run also plays a big part in the CPU/GPU performance balance. If you are running at 1080p you are more likely to have a CPU limitation than if you are running at 1440p.
Hey!

I'm right now using 1920x1080 resolution, so what's the case here? What should I do?
Oh and sadly my motherboard supports only 2133Mhz RAMs, so if right now I have 8GB RAM, should I buy another 8GB of RAM. (everything should be with 2133Mhz)
Ty for tryna help :D

kanewolf

Titan
Hey!

I'm right now using 1920x1080 resolution, so what's the case here? What should I do?
Oh and sadly my motherboard supports only 2133Mhz RAMs, so if right now I have 8GB RAM, should I buy another 8GB of RAM. (everything should be with 2133Mhz)
Ty for tryna help :D
There is no guarantee that two random DIMMs will work together. You need to buy a matched SET of two DIMMs and sell that single 8GB.

Right now ram is cheap. I've been seeing 16gb kits for about 50 dollars. I would say though, quad cores are getting to be lower end these days. Depending what an i7 that's compatible with your current hardware costs, you might be ahead to pick up a new AMD ryzen CPU and board, then sell your current hardware, keeping the drives and rtx 2060 obviously.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Does it freeze for more than a second? Micro stutter is one thing but if it’s freezing I would think that somethings wrong sure that cpu isn’t the fastest but I have a old Xeon x5680 and a 1070 and I don’t get stutter like that in games. Do you have a ssd or a hard drive?

Dec 22, 2019
Does it freeze for more than a second? Micro stutter is one thing but if it’s freezing I would think that somethings wrong sure that cpu isn’t the fastest but I have a old Xeon x5680 and a 1070 and I don’t get stutter like that in games. Do you have a ssd or a hard drive?
Hey!

Usually it doesn't stutter for long but sometimes its a second or few! I have that game on SSD drive.

Dec 22, 2019
Right now ram is cheap. I've been seeing 16gb kits for about 50 dollars. I would say though, quad cores are getting to be lower end these days. Depending what an i7 that's compatible with your current hardware costs, you might be ahead to pick up a new AMD ryzen CPU and board, then sell your current hardware, keeping the drives and rtx 2060 obviously.
Heya!

I see. Could a Ryzen 5 3600 and B450M DS3H be great for RTX 2060?
I did some research and went to pcpartpicker.com. I tested Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060 and B450M DS3H. I virtually put them together in the testing area/place in the website. It showed this message:
Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
What does that mean??

Last edited:
According to what I've seen, ryzen 3600x is equal roughly to an i7 8700k. So maybe the 3600 is equal to say an 8700.

About the motherboard, the b450 boards are 2nd gen ryzen boards. Their 3000 series chips are 3rd gen. With a bios update they should work fine, and many probably do, you just will probably want to check with the vendor to be sure they have updated the bios. If you happen to get a board that's been sitting in a warehouse a while, it's possible you would need to find a way to update. IE, boot the system with an older gen ryzen CPU long enough to update bios.

I know AMD has some program to help. If you run into that issue, you may check with a local computer store.

If you're from the United States, check to see if there's a Microcenter store near you. I like purchasing some of my stuff from them. I think if you purchase a ryzen CPU and compatible board, that they give you 20 dollars off. I think they also update some of the boards before selling as well.

The motherboard issue may not happen in every case, but something to be aware of.