Question How to fix gpu ripping from motherboard

Jul 5, 2022
I accidentally kicked my dvi cable down which caused the gpu to slant diagonally and partially rip itself out of the motherboard, although everything still works, my gpu performances have significantly decreased from about 60fps to 1-4fps and I switched in an older gpu which is reliable and got the same result, please let me know how to resolve the situation.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I accidentally kicked my dvi cable down which caused the gpu to slant diagonally and partially rip itself out of the motherboard, although everything still works, my gpu performances have significantly decreased from about 60fps to 1-4fps and I switched in an older gpu which is reliable and got the same result, please let me know how to resolve the situation.
The card came partly out or the motherboard slot is bent out?

Reactions: kaisarbeam
Jul 5, 2022
Show photos of the damage.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

List full specs of your system.
If motherboard of your system has another PCIE slot, you could install graphics card in there.
The specs are amd ryzen 3 2300x with 8gb ram single channel, I don't remember what speed it's at but the gpu is an rx550 and the motherboard is the a320m pro-e I believe. I also don't know how to send the pictures onto here.

Jul 5, 2022
If both cards are not working, then the slot might be physically damaged. Your only option is to use the next available slot or send the board for repair. Physical damage is ideally not covered by warranty though.
So how would I send it over for repair if I need to? This does seem to be the most realistic problem but I don't know who to send it to.

I also don't know how to send the pictures onto here.
Make a photo with your phone.
Upload image to imgur.com
Post link here.
So how would I send it over for repair if I need to? This does seem to be the most realistic problem but I don't know who to send it to.
If PCIE slot is damaged, then there's no repairing it. You replace the motherboard.

Is the PCIE slot on the motherboard loose? Can you wiggle it? Does it move at all when you attempt to wiggle it? Can't see any damage of note from the picture. Maybe a side view would be better?

If replacing the motherboard isn't a financial option...
Worst case you could get a PCIE x1 to x16 adapter/riser. You'll have a sizeable performance decrease, but it would still be usable. It'd be like $10 to attempt, but you still have more troubleshooting to try before worrying about that.

Also, when you kicked it, was the GPU still secured to the case via the mounting bracket and screw? Or was that knocked loose?

Talk to manufacturer support team. They will tell if it is repairable or not, and whether it can be salvaged. Some minor damage might be restorable with or without performance impact, but in case of major damage it might not be repairable. Only they can tell you.

Jul 5, 2022
Is the PCIE slot on the motherboard loose? Can you wiggle it? Does it move at all when you attempt to wiggle it? Can't see any damage of note from the picture. Maybe a side view would be better?

If replacing the motherboard isn't a financial option...
Worst case you could get a PCIE x1 to x16 adapter/riser. You'll have a sizeable performance decrease, but it would still be usable. It'd be like $10 to attempt, but you still have more troubleshooting to try before worrying about that.

Also, when you kicked it, was the GPU still secured to the case via the mounting bracket and screw? Or was that knocked loose?
Here's my best attempt at the side view photos
View: https://imgur.com/a/iCrQ7pR

When the gpu was kicked the small screw holding it fell off, however the right side of the card was still held in by the pci lane at the right side and the left side was just pulled out. Even if I try forcing the gpu in as much as possible it still wouldn't fix my problem.

Here's my best attempt at the side view photos
View: https://imgur.com/a/iCrQ7pR

When the gpu was kicked the small screw holding it fell off, however the right side of the card was still held in by the pci lane at the right side and the left side was just pulled out. Even if I try forcing the gpu in as much as possible it still wouldn't fix my problem.
The pictures are not indicative of the real damage. At least, none that I could make out. If you have a PC store/technician in your vicinity, take a second opinion and talk to customer support.