Question How to fix it

Sep 26, 2019
I have Intel pentium G5400 2cores 4threads
Rx 570 8GB
8GB ram
And I have lag spikes while palying fortnite, how to fix that?

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
I disagree with you guys!
That's a good build! maybe a trash for someone who has high end RIG but that's not the right way to solve the things!

In this build First of all the bottleneck would be the CPU, yes,
However, Pentium G5400 is a great CPU! 2 cores 4 threads 3.70 GHz and can perform in lots of games, of course not in ultra settings but still acceptable and playable!
Did you forget about G4560 ??

Especially for something like Fortnite! this specs should be enough that's for sure!

So let's figure out where exactly lays the problem

What are your video settings in Fortnite ? Try to tune them if they are too high.
Are you experiencing same issues also in other games ? if yes then probably CPU is overloaded during gaming.
How fast and stable is your internet connection ?

And last but not least.
Check while playing, what programs are running in background ?
Maybe they are overloading CPU, try to kill everything that you don't need at that moment.
Use Task Manager to determine what is taking all the juice of your PC and don't forget about hard disk overloading as well!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019
Umm soo, I can set high settings or low, its still lag spikes, I tried in high settings from 80fps to 30fps and back, low, from 200 to 40 and back.
My internet connection is pretty bad but the ping is ok.
I just bought this pc so i dont have files that i dont need.

Unfortunately, that CPU is slower than a 7-year-old AMD FX 6300, which wasn't really all that fast when it came out, but it was pretty cheap (and it was good at apps that could utilize all the cores).

Bottom line: if you wanted a system for higher-end gaming, you should have invested in a higher-end machine.

bignastyid

Titan
Unfortunately, that CPU is slower than a 7-year-old AMD FX 6300, which wasn't really all that fast when it came out, but it was pretty cheap (and it was good at apps that could utilize all the cores).

Bottom line: if you wanted a system for higher-end gaming, you should have invested in a higher-end machine.
Actually in a game/program that uses 4 or less threads the Pentium is faster than any FX. It appears Fornite doesn't use more than 2 threads.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fortnite-best-performance-benchmarks,5541-6.html

For Fornite the OPs system should do a decent job. Good chance the problems are internet/ping or server related.

Sep 26, 2019
I understand that i have to upgrade the CPU but i just bought it prebuilded, so now i need to somehow fix that lag spiking stoped, and Im asking how, not what to upgrade.

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
Can you please describe more detailed how and when lags are starting.
Do you have other online or offline games ? are they also lagging ?

What about Software part ? does all drivers installed and working properly ?
What windows is installed and what version is your video driver ?

As far as I know AMD drivers from one to another update could be very buggy and cause a lot of pain in the xxx in some games.

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Tom's is a family friendly website. PROFANITY IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN and is a BANNING OFFENSE !

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2019
Ok, so, the lag starts when i start moving mouse so quick, it repeats every 3-4seconds.
Yes I do but its doesnt use pc as much as fortnite.
I just got this pc today, from trusted online shop, I got it with not activated windows, so I think all the drivers are installed, because its was writed "Pc is ready to go" in the description.
This PC runs on Windows 10. As I said, I think drivers installed already.
Btw, I posted a post in my country group, so they that this CPU is so shitty, and it can be used only in work, not for gaming, but I searched in google that this CPU can be used in gaming but not that good.

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
I have seen a lot of fps drops on my friend's PC, he's using RX 560, they had also repeating consequentially, we tried to update drivers, they were pretty old and what happened then ? few games stopped to lag and rest of games started to lag in full screen mode...

Btw, I posted a post in my country group, so they that this CPU is so shitty, and it can be used only in work, not for gaming, but I searched in google that this CPU can be used in gaming but not that good.
I still disagree, it can run more hardware demanding games rather than fortnite!

Here you go, fortnite on your CPU running without GPU

Another example, with GTX 1060, by specs very similar to RX 570 GPU

Try to update or downgrade you GPU drivers and see if the issue still persists.
I'm sure there's some kind of software problem.

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
So, what do I need to type in google? Rx 570 drivers?
Sorry about that

Here you go

Latest driver

Old drivers library

Find your OS, and try one by one to install few drivers and check if something changes. I think it's a good Idea to first download the latest one, then you can downgrade for few subversions.

Also I'm not an AMD fan, I don't know if there are any kind of game boosters in Radeon or Catalyst software to get more FPS in games or so. Disable all of them.