How to fix Keyboard that i think has a problem with the MoBo

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
My keyboard hang/freezes when desktop appears..and sometimes after 2-3mins..
BUT behind that, the mouse and the system is working fine..
i tried other keyboards.. ps2 and usb type.. but it still freezes..
I removed the mouse.. then restarts.. THE KEYBOARD WORKS FINE..
BUT.. when I plugged in the mouse.. the keyboard hangs again..
i tried also another mouse.. still no luck.
i full reformat the PC to Windows 7 and also tried XP..
sometimes in the middle of formatting.. it freezes and i cant type the computer name..
i updated bios.. i downloaded drivers from site.. STILL NO LUCK..
i dont know if its the motherboard that has the problem.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Solution
if thats your only option. but i think you may be throwing money away by doing so...

you have already tested the keyboard on another system, you have tried another keyboard with your system. try the repair install if you think it will help(doubt) of none of that works then taking it to a engineer will likely just bring you the result of buying a new motherboard.
try going into the device manager and removing all the drivers for hid devices (mouse and keyboard) plug them both back in and reboot. (make sure you click view hidden and disabled devices incase theres something in that list causing issues... windows should then install new drivers for both... if the problem persists then check the event logs for errors pertaining to the keyboard and mouse.

also if you have usb devices attached do the same for them as well but leave them disconnected while you try and update the mouse and keyboard drivers.
reason!.
some usb drives and kvm switches can cause issues at initial boot ...
if the error is still persistent it may not be a software error

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

man.. i did all the steps you said.. but still.. the keyboard hangs in a minute after loading the desktop.. do u think its a motherboard issue?

Nitro192

Distinguished
My old motherboard used to do this when it started getting old, it wouldnt booth when things were plugged into certain USB ports. By the time i replaced it i could only use 2 or 3 and i couldnt have any wireless devices plugged in when i booted. Reset the motherboard altogether by resetting the CMOS.

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I tried to hard reset my mobo..
it has 3 pins, 123.. the jumper is inserted at the 3rd pin..
then i put it in the 1st and 2nd pin.. then when i turned it on..
it boots normally like nothing happened.. and loads the windows XP desktop..

your supposed to clear the bios/cmos with residual power not operating power.
ie. turn off the computer and set the jumper while there is still residual current in the motherboard. leave the jumper for a couple of seconds. then switch it back. then turn the power back on...
if this fails then remove the battery and short the terminals of the battery connector again with residual current... 1s done replace the battery and power up the machine. you should be greeted with a default bios splash screen (if you had the log screen turned off in bios it should be back to show you the bios was reset successfully.

if your system still has residual current flowing your led's on the motherboard (if it has them) should still be lit up for about 30 seconds after you turn the power off. but as a general rule you have about 30 seconds anyway without knowing what the led's are doing. if you cant get the battery out in time. just connect the psu to the wall and hit the power switch on the back of the psu. this should put enough residual current into the system to allow the bios reset.

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

BEFORE I've work on your instructions..
when i turned on the PC.. on the black screen where press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup..
THE KEYBOARD IS FROZEN..so i cant F1 to continue..
then i've read a message on top of F1 and Del..

"CMOS Checksum Error Defaults Loaded
Your system in now on safe mode
Please re-setting cpu frequency in cmos setup"

so now i did your instructions..
that quoted message doesnt appear anymore..
no more press F1 or Del.. bla bla bla..
it loaded straight directly on the XP desktop..
BUT THE KEYBOARD STILL FREEZES IN A MINUTE..
I've restarted several times,.
still loaded straigth to the desktop,.
but the keboard still sucks.. dammit! :pfff:

sounds like the motherboard is dying mate, probably down to some 1 trying to hotplug a keyboard into the ps2 which doesnt support it, so when its plugged in on the fly it caused a power spike in the keyboard controller. you could try a repair install and see if its a problem with windows itself. but i think it is just old age catching up with the board rather than a corrupt windows install.

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

do you think, should i visit now a computer technician?

if thats your only option. but i think you may be throwing money away by doing so...

you have already tested the keyboard on another system, you have tried another keyboard with your system. try the repair install if you think it will help(doubt) of none of that works then taking it to a engineer will likely just bring you the result of buying a new motherboard.

Solution

19nero68

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

ok ok .. thanks for the advice.. thanks for the help and effor to help me. (Y)

TRENDING THREADS