[SOLVED] How to fix Kraken Z73 cooling ?

Jan 25, 2021
I built my first PC and on day 1 the kraken was displaying 40 degrees and running fine. The very next day the display shows nothing and my computer immediately overheats and shuts off. What can I do to fix the cooler so it’s working on my cpu?

Solution
Yea I just bought it two days ago. I’m new to this if you couldn’t tell haha
Ok so I fixed it....don’t laugh at me but....the sata power wasn’t pushed all the way into the pump 😅 it was pushed in far enough for it to turn on but no enough to give the pump full power

LeighPing

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
It turns on and fans start going as well. I get and imagine on the display that says temperature but doesn’t give me a reading. Where in bios can I check?

Depends on the bios. Mine shows me the pump speed, so I can see that it's working OK. Before doing that, you should still check that it's mounted correctly on the cpu.

Jan 25, 2021
Depends on the bios. Mine shows me the pump speed, so I can see that it's working OK. Before doing that, you should still check that it's mounted correctly on the cpu.
Ok, I did have to take it off and realign it when I was building but I didn’t reapply thermal paste when I did that. When I get home today I’ll take it off my cpu and try replacing it again. Should I put new thermal paste or does it matter?

LeighPing

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Ok, I did have to take it off and realign it when I was building but I didn’t reapply thermal paste when I did that. When I get home today I’ll take it off my cpu and try replacing it again. Should I put new thermal paste or does it matter?

Did you plug all the connections back in correctly?

Do you hear water gurgling and the pump working at all?

When you get back home, do whatever it is that you need to do to ensure that's there's good contact between the waterblock and the CPU.

Jan 25, 2021
Did you plug all the connections back in correctly?

Do you hear water gurgling and the pump working at all?

When you get back home, do whatever it is that you need to do to ensure that's there's good contact between the waterblock and the CPU.

I don’t hear anything when I start it. Just the fans start up and the lcd display turns on but I don’t hear any water or anything

LeighPing

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I don’t hear anything when I start it. Just the fans start up and the lcd display turns on but I don’t hear any water or anything

Ensure that the pump power cable's plugged in to the CPU fan header.

Watch this video, and others specific to your Kraken AIO, for tips on how to ensure that it's connected correctly.

LeighPing

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I currently have it plugged into the AIO pump, should I change it to the cpu fan?

If there's nothing plugged into the cpu fan header then this could be your problem. The bios will read that there is no cooling system for the cpu and consequently may indicate that your pc is overheating. Then, shutting it down to keep it safe. 😄

Jan 25, 2021
If there's nothing plugged into the cpu fan header then this could be your problem. The bios will read that there is no cooling system for the cpu and consequently may indicate that your pc is overheating. Then, shutting it down to keep it safe. 😄
I turned off the cpu fan monitoring to avoid the issue of the bios saying no cpu fan error but the temperature of the cpu in the bios starts out about 40 and gets to 90+ in a few seconds