Question How to fix late packets and packet loss on ethernet

Oct 13, 2022
I am experiencing off and on lag when playing games on wifi and ethernet and I don't know why. I did a latency test and it said I had 16.7 percent packet loss and my that my latency was in the high 90's, but I did an internet speed test and it said my speed is 250 Mbps+ and that my latency is 10-20ms even though the other tests say my latency is super high. Also when I'm downloading games and check my ethernet performance in task manager it goes from the usual 20-90Kbps when playing games and when I'm not playing games to 150Mbps+ when downloading them. I get tons of packet loss in games and am lagging most of the time I play. I did another latency test and it said all of my packets were late . Furthermore , when looking at my ethernet performance in task manager it is always spiking when I'm not playing games and when I am playing games. I have tried new ethernet cables, resetting my modem, updating some drivers, and plenty other things an I still experience lag, somebody please help me solve this problem. I have an Aorus Z590 Master Motherboard witch a GIGABYTE 10Gbit network by AQtion AQC107 which I plug the ethernet cable into. Additionally, my upload speed is always changing when I take speed tests from 1 Mbps to 8 Mbps

In some ways it would be nice if you had a 1gbit intel based ethernet port. The other ports even intel 2.5 have more issues with the drivers. The 1gbit ones they have all been worked out.

I would see if there are newer drivers from the ethernet port vendor, I know little about that brand of ethernet. In particular you do not want the generic microsoft drives.

Try the simple test and run a constant ping to your router IP. You should not see any loss at the latency should be very low and stable.

Loss is a very different problem that latency. In general when things are working correctly latency is a measure of distance and you can't really change that. When the latency changes a lot..ie jitter that might have a impact if it is very high, like over 100ms, you will never see say 20ms of jitter.

ISP barely promise a data rate they might fix packet loss if it is in their network.

Your next test should be a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. If you are on direct fiber many times these are consistently under 5ms. If you do not see your problem of packet loss or large spikes in the latency then you have a much more complex issue than just a simple network issue. This means the problem is either software related or it is in another ISP network that you will not get fixed.

If you do see issues to these IP then try a tracert 8.8.8.8. It will likely show nothing interesting, the goal is to get the IP of the routers in the path. You would then run a ping to hop 2 which should be the connection between your house and the ISP. Loss here generally means there is some issue with the wiring and the ISP will fix that. Check the modem logs and signal levels to see if they are in the recommended ranges.

Oct 13, 2022
In some ways it would be nice if you had a 1gbit intel based ethernet port. The other ports even intel 2.5 have more issues with the drivers. The 1gbit ones they have all been worked out.

I would see if there are newer drivers from the ethernet port vendor, I know little about that brand of ethernet. In particular you do not want the generic microsoft drives.

Try the simple test and run a constant ping to your router IP. You should not see any loss at the latency should be very low and stable.

Loss is a very different problem that latency. In general when things are working correctly latency is a measure of distance and you can't really change that. When the latency changes a lot..ie jitter that might have a impact if it is very high, like over 100ms, you will never see say 20ms of jitter.

ISP barely promise a data rate they might fix packet loss if it is in their network.

Your next test should be a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. If you are on direct fiber many times these are consistently under 5ms. If you do not see your problem of packet loss or large spikes in the latency then you have a much more complex issue than just a simple network issue. This means the problem is either software related or it is in another ISP network that you will not get fixed.

If you do see issues to these IP then try a tracert 8.8.8.8. It will likely show nothing interesting, the goal is to get the IP of the routers in the path. You would then run a ping to hop 2 which should be the connection between your house and the ISP. Loss here generally means there is some issue with the wiring and the ISP will fix that. Check the modem logs and signal levels to see if they are in the recommended ranges.

Can I get step by step instructions on how to do those things I'm kinda new to this I'm sorry. I just know how to update the drivers for my ethernet but that's it.