Question How to fix low GPU usage on brand new 3070 ?

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
[ SOLVED }

Just bought a Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC and right off the bat im getting 40-50% usage, I have a slight bottleneck because of my Ryzen 5 2600x, but its only 10-15% bottleneck and shouldnt be making my gpu usage this low, right?

Gpu: Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC
cpu: Ryzen 5 2600x
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 2x8GB
MB: asrock b450m pro4
psu: corsair CX 750 watt 80 plus bronze
hdd: seagate barracuda 2TB
sdd: samsung 970 evo 500GB m.2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Needs to know what games you are playing to be able to help you at all and tell you what is and isn't normal.

You should be able to overclock that CPU to 4.2ghz all core with a bit of a voltage bump with no issues on that mobo as long as you have a decent cpu cooler.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Try to put your system power options from balanced or energy saving to performance mode and also do it in nvidia control panel.

And how is your gpu is connected? If it has 2 x 8 pin connectors try to use 2 seperate pcie cable.

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
Game? Settings? Resolution?
I play most games at medium to low settings, only 1080p, and Ive tried Valorant, EFT, Destiny 2, Borderlands 3, they all play pretty <Mod Edit>. Destiny 2 being the worst, if I play all low settings i get 80fps with like 40% usage, even as low as 30%, and all high I get like 80fps with 55% usage. I tried Resident Evil 2 and got a good 120-144fps using all high settings and 60-70% usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spentshells

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
Needs to know what games you are playing to be able to help you at all and tell you what is and isn't normal.

You should be able to overclock that CPU to 4.2ghz all core with a bit of a voltage bump with no issues on that mobo as long as you have a decent cpu cooler.
I've got a coolermaster ML240L AIO, how do I overclock my CPU? I OC my old GPU using MSI Afterburner, is it similar to that?

I play most games at medium to low settings, only 1080p, and Ive tried Valorant, EFT, Destiny 2, Borderlands 3, they all play pretty <Mod Edit>. Destiny 2 being the worst, if I play all low settings i get 80fps with like 40% usage, even as low as 30%, and all high I get like 80fps with 55% usage. I tried Resident Evil 2 and got a good 120-144fps using all high settings and 60-70% usage.
The CPU determines the maximum frame rate. If your video card can easily produce the frame rate beyond this, then it'll have lower utilization. Running games on lower settings is a great way to expose this.

Note that the CPU does not have to be at 100% utilization to hit the maximum frame rate. Since most games do not scale with multiple cores that much and the processing loop in a game is still in-order and linear, it's mostly down to how well each individual core performs and how the routine to package up commands to send to the graphics card was implemented.

Reactions: Phaaze88

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
The CPU determines the maximum frame rate. If your video card can easily produce the frame rate beyond this, then it'll have lower utilization. Running games on lower settings is a great way to expose this.

Note that the CPU does not have to be at 100% utilization to hit the maximum frame rate. Since most games do not scale with multiple cores that much and the processing loop in a game is still in-order and linear, it's mostly down to how well each individual core performs and how the routine to package up commands to send to the graphics card was implemented.
So what youre saying is its normal? Should I just get a new cpu that performs well alongside the 3070

Ill just say it, turn up all the settings, the cpu and ram speed are whats holding you back your card and cpu could previously produce x amount of frames on medium... now the 3070 can produce those exact same frames at ultra settings at a higher resolution.

To see your gpu usage go up, up the settings and or resolution... you want more frames... get a 5500 5600 or 5600 xt and ddr4 3600 ram.

Your motherboard supports the newer chips.

Even though they had more cores than intel, even broadwell/haswell had these AMD chips beat at ipc.

Without coming down on amd at all ivy bridge 6 cores @ 3.6 were pretty much on par with the 2xxx from amd. 3xxx series and then later 5xxx series offered sizeable performance boosts over previous generations.

zombie1801

Prominent
Jun 24, 2020
Ill just say it, turn up all the settings, the cpu and ram speed are whats holding you back your card and cpu could previously produce x amount of frames on medium... now the 3070 can produce those exact same frames at ultra settings at a higher resolution.

To see your gpu usage go up, up the settings and or resolution... you want more frames... get a 5500 5600 or 5600 xt and ddr4 3600 ram.

Your motherboard supports the newer chips.

Even though they had more cores than intel, even broadwell/haswell had these AMD chips beat at ipc.

Without coming down on amd at all ivy bridge 6 cores @ 3.6 were pretty much on par with the 2xxx from amd. 3xxx series and then later 5xxx series offered sizeable performance boosts over previous generations.
I’ll order a 5600x, Thanks for the help!!