How to fix my CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Can someone please help out? I recently built me a new PC for the first time and I'm having this BSoD error. Also as a added note, I did update my BIOS to the latest vision so that can't be it and I'm using Windows 8.1 Professional.
I also have never overclocked my CPU if that helps.

Please help out, this error is super annoying and I need help with it.

My Build:
CPU: i5-4570
Motherboard: ASRock z97 Extreme3
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB of G.Skill
Storage: 2TB Hard drive

Solution
This bugcheck indicates that hardware has failed to make forward progress at servicing a request.
I have looked into many systems that had this bugcheck. Most of the time it is caused by windows plug and play trying to install a USB driver on one processor core while request to the driver are waiting on another processor core. Problem the driver install fails on the first core and plug and play keeps trying to install over and over. At some time the second core times out and calls a bugcheck.

In almost all cases where the machine is not being overclocked, it resolves down to one USB Wireless Ethernet Adapter chipset being plugged into the USB port. Plug and play detects the chipset, finds a default driver and attempts to install...
This bugcheck indicates that hardware has failed to make forward progress at servicing a request.
I have looked into many systems that had this bugcheck. Most of the time it is caused by windows plug and play trying to install a USB driver on one processor core while request to the driver are waiting on another processor core. Problem the driver install fails on the first core and plug and play keeps trying to install over and over. At some time the second core times out and calls a bugcheck.

In almost all cases where the machine is not being overclocked, it resolves down to one USB Wireless Ethernet Adapter chipset being plugged into the USB port. Plug and play detects the chipset, finds a default driver and attempts to install. IF the driver fails the install for any reason. You end up with this problem. Even if you remove the device, you will still have the problem because windows hides usb drivers when the device is unplugged but the driver is still there even if the device is not plugged in.

So, you need to force device manager show hidden devices.
maybe look here for help:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77614-device-manager-hidden-devices.html
windows 8 put a option to show hidden devices, you start control panel, device manager, select view, select "show hidden devices"

You should be able to delete the device and driver from device manager. just make sure the device is not plugged in.
(you might have to do a restart if the device was plugged in and plug and play was attempting to do a install)

Ok, now you need to fix all problems that would prevent the plug and play from installing the USB device.
you:
-update BIOS (all ready done in your case)
- update CPU chipset drivers get intel drivers here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?ProdId=816&lang=eng
- update USB 3.0 chipset drivers for any secondary USB chipset from your motherboard vendor or the chipset vendor
- now here is the kicker: you have to update the USB driver for the device itself. This can be hard to find, the driver is made by the people who created the chips, they sold the chips to a lot of different manufactures who just put it into different packages with their brand on it.
then the chip set manufacture went out of business. Their assets were bought by another company and that company puts the driver on their website (depending on the device) Here is a link to the drivers download: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/

problem the drivers are listed by the chipset number not by the name of the device you purchased. So you have to take the name of your usb device > something like "tp link 3000" and google for the device name plus the word "chipset" and try to figure out the chipset used.

then go to the mediatek website and find the driver for that chipset. Or you can pick the first entry on the list because they stopped providing support for all the other devices and it is your only choice anyway. Install the driver and hope it has your chipset update. Install the driver, boot your machine and plug in the USB device and see if it works.

You can also debug the problem, but it requires using verifier.exe to set debug flags, changing your memory dump to kernel memory dump type, putting your memory dump on a server and getting someone to look at the memory dump with a windows debugger and then knowing what commands to enter and how to figure out the root cause of the problem. Takes effort and your only fix will be to update the drivers anyway.

You can also use usbview.exe from the Microsoft ddk or window debugging tools standalone toolkit.
it shows more detailed info on the status of all of your USB ports/hubs and you can see which ones are having problems and then remove the device or hub in device manager and have it redetected and reinstalled. Sometimes that will fix the problem if the bad device is not plugged in.

laptops tend to have this problem more than a desktop due to the various link state transitions (lower level sleep)
many devices don't go into and wake up from low power modes correctly. in these cases (mostly on windows 8.x) you want
to start cmd.exe as a admin
then do a full shutdown with the command
shutdown.exe -s -t 0

this will do a full shutdown, not just a deep sleep to RAM that saves your state of your devices. You would need a full shutdown so when you power back on the electronics will reinitialize from their start up initialization electronics rather than continue with the current settings.

Solution

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Okay, I have some questions.
1. I got the hidden devices thing to come up. Which one do I delete? I have a ton of composite devices, some generic USB Hubs but one does stick out, "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" is this the one?
2. The USB chipset drivers for my motherboard are only for Windows 7. What do I do?

delete any with a error indicator (these tend to be the ones that cause watchdog timeout bugcheck)
delete any that you know you don't want (device no longer in use but keeps loading a driver that has issues because of driver bugs, some driver can not be removed or updated if loaded even if loaded as a hidden unplugged device)

the plug and play system will reinstall them if you plug in the device again. so make sure you install the updated driver before you plug in a device that had failed to correctly install.

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

I just finish putting some new thermal paste on it. It was getting extremely high temps on idle like, 90+ Celsius. But now that I've replaced the paste, I'm getting 29-34 Celsius and 45-55 Celsius under load.

ILikePie2575

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

Okay, well. I've deleted the bad driver, I don't think my wireless ethernet adapter USB is bad because it still works and the bad USB driver didn't come up again. Also, I don't think it's mediatek that made my Netgear A6200's chipset. It seems to be Broadcom.

Also, do you know what "Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) 11" and why it's taking up so much CPU usage?

I think the netgear Netgear A6200 version 1 uses the Broadcom chipset
I think the a6200 version 2 uses the realtek chipset.

"Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) 11"
I can not tell what your host service process is running. it is a generic tool used to make various .exe files in to a background process. you can go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
get a copy of the Microsoft tool called process explorer, run it click expand the process and see what is rolled up in that service. it will show all the .exes and that share the host provider. You can also click on the .exe and examine info about the subprocess that is running.

after you figure out the process that is having problems, you can use process monitor (procmon.exe) to see what the process is trying to access. Some of these processes are pretty stupid when errors occur. I am looking at mine now, and I have a process trying to access a file and getting a error, and it just keeps trying and getting the error. It looks like it is doing it 300 or 400 times a minute. (time to look for a update )

note: you can use the autoruns.exe tool to see where various programs are being started automatically from registry entries.
(and you can delete the key or disable the startup of the program)

note: you can also see the list of running processes wrapped in a service host by
starting cmd.exe as an admin then run
tasklist.exe /SVC
this will show the services running in each process.
I would think that the network access restricted would mean that the service is being blocked from network access.
(incorrect rights or maybe blocked by a firewall)

--------------------
Okay, well. I've deleted the bad driver, I don't think my wireless ethernet adapter USB is bad because it still works and the bad USB driver didn't come up again. Also, I don't think it's mediatek that made my Netgear A6200's chipset. It seems to be Broadcom.

Also, do you know what "Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) 11" and why it's taking up so much CPU usage?[/quotemsg]