Question How To Fix My CPU Core Ratio (Max Turbo Boost Multipliers)?

Jan 7, 2023
Hi, got new PC. Core i5 12400F and AsRock H670 Steel Legend board. I updated BIOS to the fresh 11.04 and ran popular CinebenchR23 CPU test and was surprised. While my single core result was completely normal as expected (1710-1725), CPU's multicore performance is very low (below 10000 instead of 12000). I found out that 6 cores work only at 4GHz max instead of 4.390Ghz (while 1 core works as intended).
AIDA64 helped me to see what is going on:
Max Turbo Boost Multipliers 1C: 44x, 2C: 44x, 3C: 42x, 4C: 42x, 5C: 40x, 6C: 40x
It means 1-2 loaded cores work at max speed, 3-4 cores at 4.2GHz and 5-6 loaded cores at 4GHz.
So I rebooted, opened BIOS. Found OC Tweaker -> CPU Configuration -> CPU P-core ratio -> Per Core. But I could not increase 42x or 40x multipliers, I could only decrease it! And set a value between 8x and 40x. I tried all options in BIOS (Auto, all core, per core, specific per core). So what is the problem, and can I fix it somehow?
P.S. Hyper-Threading is enabled obviously, so I ran test on 12 virtual cores.
7PgxrUl.png

8gjIBB7.png

hHJti1W.png

jldkaW5.png

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I found out that 6 cores work only at 4GHz max instead of 4.390Ghz (while 1 core works as intended).
AIDA64 helped me to see what is going on:
Max Turbo Boost Multipliers 1C: 44x, 2C: 44x, 3C: 42x, 4C: 42x, 5C: 40x, 6C: 40x

This is normal/stock operation. Just because Turbo Max is 4.40 Ghz (44x), doesn't mean that ALL cores will work at that turbo speed. Usually it's 1-2 cores that work at that level, while rest boost to lower level.

But I could not increase 42x or 40x multipliers

This would mean CPU OC, over the stock configuration. As of why these options are disabled for you in the BIOS, the reason is this:

H670 chipset doesn't support CPU OC. Now, if you would have Z690 chipset MoBo, then you can OC your CPU**, and set any value to the turbo boost as well.

**But that is not all. Another reason is:
i5 12400F

You have non-K CPU, which means locked multiplier, thus, even if you'd have Z690 MoBo, you still can't OC your CPU.

Intel CPUs, that can be OCd, have K-suffix. E.g i5-12600K.

So, either live with what you have, or upgrade your CPU and MoBo to better (and more expensive) ones.

Reactions: VictorOd
Jan 7, 2023
Thank you very much for detailed answers. I actually knew almost all of it but forgot, you reminded me everything. I'm ok with it, can live with locked multipliers and my system performance. So my current problem is my CPU consumes only 69-74 W at max load instead of 117 W. I opened HWiNFO64 utility during CinebenchR23 multicore test and made a screenshot.
How to define the source of such low power consumption? Maybe my old power supply unit limits performance. I connected 12V CPU with a 4-pin connector instead of 8-pin. Motherboard manual says it's acceptable. Also I checked that yellow 12V wires are barely warm, they don't overheat so it can't harm and damage my devices probably.
7eWdZ2z.png

TRENDING THREADS