Question How to fix my network?

Not nearly enough information.

What device is this happening on or is it happening on ALL devices that connect to the internet through your router or modem?

If only one device, what are the FULL specs for that device including the exact model of your network adapter?

What is the exact model of your router and/or cable modem? If there are any switches involved or other specialized hardware, please include those as well.

Reactions: Coachaye
Oct 9, 2022
My setup is an XB7 modem, all devices are connected to it, and two pcs are hardwired. I use ping plotter on both pcs at the same time and see the same results (ping spikes, leading to cutting internet, and stutters). There are no special adapters or anything else with our internet. When these spikes happen then all games, streams, and sometimes tv will stutter in the game from packet loss.

Thanks! I can answer anything else if anyone may be able to help. I believe it to be the modem, but I tried a Nighthawk 6 months ago and the same problem was happening; therefore, I believe it is my network provider.

Oct 9, 2022
Not nearly enough information.

What device is this happening on or is it happening on ALL devices that connect to the internet through your router or modem?

If only one device, what are the FULL specs for that device including the exact model of your network adapter?

What is the exact model of your router and/or cable modem? If there are any switches involved or other specialized hardware, please include those as well.
Replied below - thanks

A large part of your problem with the ISP is that they will have no clue what pingplotter is. Most people who post the results here can't actually read them either so you can't blame the ISP.

In this case it does look like there is a pretty major issue with the connection coming to your house.

What you want to do is use simple ping commands. I would run ping to your router ip (hop1) and the first ISP router (hop 2). You want to show that when you run them at the same time you see loss to hop 2 but not hop 1.
This should convince them that there is no issue with your pc or your router.

This tends to be some kind of cable issue normally outside your house. There is a very small possibility it is the modem. Check any of the coax you can easily see and look for loose connections or maybe water or dirt than might have gotten into the connections. Depending on how the cabling runs in your house you could try to move the router to a point as close as possible to where the cable comes in. This is only for testing but with the massive loss you show you should be able to tell if it makes a difference.

I am unsure if you can see the log or the signal levels in your modem/router. Other people who have posted that have that device claim you can not see these common modem stats. I would see if you can find something, poor signal levels are also a indication of some cabling issue.

In the end it is a matter of convincing the ISP there is a problem. For any tech with any experience at all they should understand why loss at hop 2 but not hop 1 show a issue with the ISP equipment.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
So XB7 either means Xfinity or rogers, least I have not seen that term elsewhere. Pretty sure rogers just buys xfinity designed modems and uses them, so first thing first -

ping [I don;t care what ping tool you use] both an external server and at the same time 10.0.0.1 until the problem happens, then stop the pings and snapshot the results. this will help pin down is it in to the modem or after the modem. if you lose packets to 10.0.0.1 its just to the XB7 and you may need to swap it or have some sort of power issue. If it happens to the outside but not to the device, then we clearly need to tackle that which means checking wires, etc...

Oct 9, 2022
So XB7 either means Xfinity or rogers, least I have not seen that term elsewhere. Pretty sure rogers just buys xfinity designed modems and uses them, so first thing first -

ping [I don;t care what ping tool you use] both an external server and at the same time 10.0.0.1 until the problem happens, then stop the pings and snapshot the results. this will help pin down is it in to the modem or after the modem. if you lose packets to 10.0.0.1 its just to the XB7 and you may need to swap it or have some sort of power issue. If it happens to the outside but not to the device, then we clearly need to tackle that which means checking wires, etc...
Xfinity Hop 2 problems Hop 2 Request timed out

When I see the problem happening it starts at hop 2 for me as seen on the pings. I have never had any loss at Hop 1.