How to fix network lag when playing online games while downloading files?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Well getting faster internet and better bandwidth is one option. There are of course setting you can tweak. You can tell your network card to prioritise the data transfer of the game and download other stuff with lower priority. I hope these articles will help you get started:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-gaming-video-lag-easy-router-tweak/
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2195867/bandwidth-priority-settings.html

Solution
I've been trying to configure my QoS to do this.

It's not an easy task and requires a router with QoS and a switch is preferred so you don't need rules for every port.

I've been reading a lot of fq_codel which has been hailed as one of the best.
If you run ddwrt on a consumer router you can probably handle a 50Mbs connection.
There is a more efficient version named cake, but I don't think it's highly supported on anything yet.
pfsense doesn't have gui support for fq_codel and cake hasn't been ported to freebsd.

I have an x86 processor in my router and I'm going to experiment with fq_codel or with fairq with a nested codelq which people say works.
The main issue is processing power and most home routers don't have a lot.

My current QoS setup hasn't been super reliable lately. I've had it working well on and off.
I don't think my provider gives me a high quality pipe. QoS relies heavily on your connection being stable, because everything is mbs based.
So if your ISP is letting you dip then your QoS bites the dust.

I have 4 pipes. UDP and TCP in/out
450kbs for UDP dedicated (not work conserving, but small)
2350kbs for TCP
TCP pipes have PRIQ setup so that downloads from my main pc are the lowest priority, everything else is medium, and ACK is highest. The primary goal here is so that streaming music, phone use, and streaming video doesn't stop due to downloads. ACK needs to always be highest or you will have a lot of issues.

I'm going to experiment with adding in nested CODEL to some of my queues. somewhere bufferbloat is happening, because my UDP latency skyrockets sometimes.