[SOLVED] How to fix Ryzen 5 3600 High Voltage and Temp?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi everyone, so recently I have switched from an Intel platform to AMD ryzen 5 3600. At the start I noticed that the voltage was hovering around 1.47 and my idle temps were around 60 degrees but once I played games it reached around 85-90 which was so close at the max temp for this CPU. To fix this issue I had turned of the core performance boost which therefore brought down the core speed to its base speed and the voltage would be around 1.05 average. What I have tried to do is to use he ryzen power plans and to install the up to date amd chipset drivers and motherboard bios, ambient room temp is 23 degrees. Im not sure if this is relevant on the issue of high temp and voltage is that since I had switched from intel to amd, my ssd already has windows installed but I did not reinstall windows again for the amd platform, just wondering if that could be an issue. Is there a way to fix this without disabling any performance boost in the bios to keep temps and voltage low but without sacrificing performance. Any help or advice appreciated.

PC Specs: Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler), MSI B450M mortar max, T-Force Delta RGB 16GB 3000mhz, GTX 1060 3gb, 240 GB WD Green, 1TB HDD, Thermal take 600W PSU, Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 RGB Case

Solution
What are your temps with the side panel off, and do you have any other fans installed other than the 3 in-front and 1 exhaust behind?

Sorry for asking so many questions but the more info the better!

Could well be why it is switching off, is it a TT Smart RGB 600w or the TR2S installed. They are not great PSU's (but useable) with weak single rail 12v construction and at best average capacitators so if is from your old build I would strongly recommend thinking about a new PSU.

This along with a dirty OS system can lead to all sorts of unexpected occurances. An unclean Windows has no "oh it will cause this or that" as every system will react in it's own way.

I would set yout system to default BEFORE the new install of windows...
Hi there, did you cheack that the cooler is properly seated, the stock cooler comes with paste applied that is fine.
Did you check Taskmanager for any unwanted applications running that are eating up resources.

I would certainly recommend you do a clean install of windows with a new platform, you will have all sorts of conflicts with drivers and programm pathways without it.

Also run CCleaner on the Registry cleaner and delete whatever it finds and also Malwarebytes to check for nastys that maybe hidden.

The voltages on stock bios settings on Ryzens are quite high but should not be 50-60 at idle more like 35..... so it is running way to hot.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I made sure that the stock cooler is installed correctly and all screws are full tightened. I checked Taskmanager and there were no applications eating up any resources and the cpu would only be at 2%. After I do a clean install of windows do I set all modes back to Auto/Default? Also its been the second time of my pc randomly restarting on its own without any windows updates but can this also be a cause of not reinstalling windows?

What are your temps with the side panel off, and do you have any other fans installed other than the 3 in-front and 1 exhaust behind?

Could well be why it is switching off, is it a TT Smart RGB 600w or the TR2S installed. They are not great PSU's (but useable) with weak single rail 12v construction and at best average capacitators so if is from your old build I would strongly recommend thinking about a new PSU.

This along with a dirty OS system can lead to all sorts of unexpected occurances. An unclean Windows has no "oh it will cause this or that" as every system will react in it's own way.

I would set yout system to default BEFORE the new install of windows. Remember all the old chipset drivers, infact drivers of all kinds from your Intel setup will be floating around your data causing conflicts that can drive a system mad. You have to clean install before you can begin to pin-point any other possible issues causing the system to act the way it is.

Once you have done the clean install go to AMD and reinstall the latest Chipset Drivers for your setup, then best to get the GPU driver from the Nvidia website, do the Windows updates etc and then see what your temps are.

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone, so recently I have switched from an Intel platform to AMD ryzen 5 3600. At the start I noticed that the voltage was hovering around 1.47 and my idle temps were around 60 degrees but once I played games it reached around 85-90 which was so close at the max temp for this CPU. To fix this issue I had turned of the core performance boost which therefore brought down the core speed to its base speed and the voltage would be around 1.05 average. What I have tried to do is to use he ryzen power plans and to install the up to date amd chipset drivers and motherboard bios, ambient room temp is 23 degrees. Im not sure if this is relevant on the issue of high temp and voltage is that since I had switched from intel to amd, my ssd already has windows installed but I did not reinstall windows again for the amd platform, just wondering if that could be an issue. Is there a way to fix this without disabling any performance boost in the bios to keep temps and voltage low but without sacrificing performance. Any help or advice appreciated.

PC Specs: Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler), MSI B450M mortar max, T-Force Delta RGB 16GB 3000mhz, GTX 1060 3gb, 240 GB WD Green, 1TB HDD, Thermal take 600W PSU, Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 RGB Case
In addition to @Schlachtwolf 's advice you might not be aware of how Ryzen differs from what you might have seen with your Intel.

Ryzen 3000 boosts very aggressively even at idle. This makes a for lot of low-energy temperature spikes that looks like it's getting hot but it's not. You have to look at an average temperature, something you can see with AMD's Ryzenmaster utility.

But much better for Ryzen is HWInfo64, you can look at both Tdie, which will spike and ramp down, and a T die(average) temperature.

Fans annoyingly follow the spikey instantaneous temperature, not an average. So you have to set a custom profile that ignores the spikes. Usually a flat barely audible speed up to about 60-65C, then gradually rising until 75-80C before it gets very loud than only really annoyingly screaming loud at 90-95C.

Also, it's perfectly normal and expected for Ryzen 3000 CPU's to spike voltage as high as 1.5V during lightly threaded bursty loads from idle, also due to the aggressive boosting. And you need to monitor the Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN) reading in HWInfo to get an accurate picture of the internal die voltage the CPU cores actually see. This is particularly true of B450 Mortars (I have one too) since the VCore reading is a Super IO reading that's made right at the output of the VRM and does not reflect vdroop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018

I would set yout system to default BEFORE the new install of windows. Remember all the old chipset drivers, infact drivers of all kinds from your Intel setup will be floating around your data causing conflicts that can drive a system mad. You have to clean install before you can begin to pin-point any other possible issues causing the system to act the way it is.

Once you have done the clean install go to AMD and reinstall the latest Chipset Drivers for your setup, then best to get the GPU driver from the Nvidia website, do the Windows updates etc and then see what your temps are.

Cheers
With the side panel off I would have a temp of 35 degrees and side panel on with around 45. I do not have any other fans installed besides the 3 120 fans in front and one in the rear. After setting my bios to default and doing a fresh install of windows, my cpu idle temps have dropped from 60 to 45 considering that the case airflow is not the best. I am not getting anymore crashes and auto restarts. Only thing is when I would play games like rainbow six siege temps would increase to 87-90 on the wraith stealth cooler. Idle temps are far better now but under load temps are still very high.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
With the side panel off I would have a temp of 35 degrees and side panel on with around 45. I do not have any other fans installed besides the 3 120 fans in front and one in the rear. After setting my bios to default and doing a fresh install of windows, my cpu idle temps have dropped from 60 to 45 considering that the case airflow is not the best. I am not getting anymore crashes and auto restarts. Only thing is when I would play games like rainbow six siege temps would increase to 87-90 on the wraith stealth cooler. Idle temps are far better now but under load temps are still very high.
That's about normal with the wraith stealth.