How to fix screen tearing on new laptop

blw1978

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Hi, I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro R50 Windows 7 64bit laptop in October.

At first its had some screen tearing but after a week or so it was fine (i figured it had updated its codecs or drivers or whatever it was missing).

Anyway, I did a factory restore to fix another issue I had and the screen tearing came back and hasn't gone away. I called Toshiba and they gave me a link to install an updated Intel (R) HD Graphics 5500 but when I tried to install it it told me that it wasn't suitable for my OS.

I get severe screen tearing when watching a movie as well as watching youtube or any video file online. I don't know what to do.

I would be grateful for any assistance you might be able to provide me.

Thanks, Bonnie

Solution
Hi, I only just worked out how to fix it this morning (after much hassle and another factory restore ... d'oh).

It had to do with Windows Aero in preferences setting. I didn't even realise there was a difference between which picture I chose to have on my desktop. Now my screen tearing issue is gone :).

Bonnie

blw1978

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Hi, I only just worked out how to fix it this morning (after much hassle and another factory restore ... d'oh).

It had to do with Windows Aero in preferences setting. I didn't even realise there was a difference between which picture I chose to have on my desktop. Now my screen tearing issue is gone :).

Bonnie

Solution