Question How to fix stuttering & massive FPS drops on my laptop ?

Mar 15, 2021
I have a Lenovo Legion Y750, bought it back in August of 2020. The games worked fine up until a month ago when suddenly most high end games started to stutter and experience massive FPS drops and eventually crash. My laptop does heat up but I keep it under my air conditioner so it's usually super cool.

Specs:
Intel Core-i7 9750H CPU @ 2.6 GHz 64 bit OS
16 gigs of RAM
1 TB SS
Nvidia GTX 2070 Max-Q 8 gigs
WIndows 10

The games worked absolutely fine up until last month or so when most of them started to drop frames from 150+ fps to under 10, and even more in loading. I do understand loading usually tanks the fps but not THIS much. I play a lot of Destiny 2 and Forza Horizon 4 and I can literally not play Destiny 2 cause it would crash everytime I would try to load into a destination. Forza usually works fine for a while and then maybe an hour or so later it would randomly freeze or lag and then crash.

Things I have already tried:
-Reinstalling said games with a fresh download.
-Turned off DVR.
-Played on lowest settings.
-Did some shenanigans through RegEdit that Youtube videos, with positive reviews, suggested.

Nothing works..

I am yet to try and reset my windows but dont wanna do it unless absolutely needed.

The issue mainly is that the games that used to work absolutely fine are now <Mod Edit> themselves (pardon my language) on start up. It takes upto 5 minutes of waiting for them to stabilise.
Examples: (Of games I have tested so far)
Games working fine- League of Legends, CSGO, Wolfenstein 2, etc.
Games with mentioned issues- Destiny 2, Battlefield 5, CoD Warzone, Forza Horizon 5, etc.

Another issue I am facing is whenever I switch from charging to battery the display turns off and then on and same when I put back the charging. This didnt happen up until 1 month ago, around similar time when the games started to crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS