How to fix TDR message

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
I'm trying to overclock my graphics card and I am trying to do a stress test longer than 10 minutes but I am getting this message

A TDR has been detected.
The Application must close.

So I ditched the stress test and thought it was good enough and lowered some stuff for the overclock, but when I play games for more than maybe 15 minutes I still get the message.

I already looked up a solution from a Microsoft forum (from which Nvidia brought me to) and changed a couple setting and am still getting the problem!

Anyone know how I can fix this!?

TIA

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

A little, I think some weird things still happen to it but I have it overclocked right now and nothing too bad is really happening.

When it comee to TDR that usually involved drivers as well. GTX560Ti is quite famous with TDR issue to the point nvidia asking user directly send their unit to nvidia because they having hard time to reproduce the problem with the 560Ti they have in their driver lab.

So have you tried using different drivers?

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

No I have not. I used the drivers that came with the card.

Then better for you to get the latest driver from AMD. The new crimson drivers bring a lot of new feature to radeon user. But make sure you get the latest one. The early version of crimson (november drivers i think) have fan related issue that will make the fan spinning at 100% speed all the time or running at low speed all the time causing overheating problem.

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

AMD drivers on a Nvidia card?

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

EVGA GTX 960 4gb SSC

Running something like 355.something something or something like that. Whatever the newest drivers are that came out for that card.

The latest driver is 361.43 right now. Since you have TDR related issue try doing clean driver uninstallation with DDU. And when you install the new driver don't install GFE yet. Make sure everthing running at factory stock setting (if you were using third party overclocking tool you might want to reset the setting back to default setting as well). Then use your system for a while to see if there is anything weird still

Mason Methot

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015

Alright, I'll see what I can do.