How to Fix the "bootmgr is missing" Error

adity8522

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
So, Today I decided to write my First Tutorial on Toms Hardware which heads "How do I fix the "bootmgr is missing" error?"
If your Windows 7 or Vista computer has encountered the dreaded “BOOTMGR is missing” error, you aren’t alone. If the problem isn’t hardware related you can fix it with relative ease as long as you have a Windows DVD handy. And Even if you have the Windows 7 Boot Repair Disk.
image15.png

So, I guess you all know how to boot off your Windows Disk,
Restart your Computer, On the POST Screen look for the Option for Something like "Press F12 for Boot Settings" or "Press Del to enter BIOS Setup". Look for it. If you have Boot Set. Option then enter into it and Select to Boot from Whatever your Windows Bootable Media is. (In my case it was USB).
Now, As soon as you boot from your Windows Bootable Media, you will find Windows 7 Installation Welcome Screen.
Select your Language Preference & click Next.
image16.png

On the Next Screen you will find Install Now Option. See in the Bottom Left Corner, you will find an option for "Repair your Computer". Click on it.
image17.png

The installation process will attempt to find your Vista installation directory. If there’s more than one in the list, select the correct one and then use the Next button again.
image18.png

Now, In the Box, "System Recovery Options", Click on the First Link "Startup Repair".
image19.png

The installation process will Automatically repair the system, and then prompt for you to reboot.
And now It should have been Repaired.
image20.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALTERNATE METHOD [ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS]
If the Startup Repair was Unable to Fix the Problem, Proceed to this Step :
Boot your Windows Bootable Media Again and come to the Same Screen saying "System Recovery Options".
Here, Click on Command Prompt Link.
Command Prompt will Launch.
image21.png

Now type these with Space where stated as <SPACE> :
"bootrec /fixboot [Space after bootrec]
At this point you should be able to reboot your computer, remove the DVD and everything should be working.
If any other Problems Persist, Contact me with a Private Message.
Regards,
Aditya,
Toms Hardware Community Member.