Question How to fix this annoying issue with my keyboard/s

Dec 25, 2020
Hi there. My computer has this really bizarre problem that I found no solution for anywhere.
When I turn on my PC, my keyboard has several buttons that just don't work. Windows can't receive ANY signal from them. The most prominent ones are the shift key, 4 - 5 - 6 keys on the number pad, and 7 - 8 - 9 on the number row. They'll stay like this for a random amount of time (sometimes an hour, other times an entire day!) then come back to working all of a sudden. I tried removing my keyboard drivers from device manager, I tried formatting windows, I tried updating the bios, I checked to see if the keys were dirty - which they weren't-, I tried multiple keyboards, and I tried all the usb ports -front and back- with all keyboards to no avail. It's such a weird problem that I don't know how to fix. If anyone knows what to do please provide me with a solution, and if you require any specific information about my PC's components I'll happily provide.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
if your looking for help the first thing i would do is post your build. are you using a laptop? a desktop? external keyboard? does this only happen on start up? are you using the same USB/ps2 port for said keyboard? etc.

heres some things you can look into though:
generally speaking if this is a desktop what i would do is try different USB ports, make sure to update drivers on your ports as you do this.
check the cable of your keyboard for any damage. shorts can cause this issue. see if the issue happens when you move the cable in different sections,
make sure sticky keys are not enabled. you can search sticky keys from the start menu to see the setting or hold left shift.
see if this issue persists or the keys still do or do not operate when using the on screen keyboard. to enable the on screen keyboard search on screen keyboard from the start menu. if using a operating system older then windows 10 you can also google how to bring up some of the settings im talking about.

Laptop:
if this is a laptop giving you issues. you may have spilled something on it that is shorting out the keyboard connection. same goes for dekstop.
your keyboards connection ribbon may have come loose.
chiclet keyboards are anoying because they sometimes can be depressed without you noticing. if a desktop keyboard the actual matting that makes contact with your keyboards circuit board may be sticking due to age.

if none of these help you can go into device manager and disable all keyboards then use the on screen keyboard to see if that works then attempt to reconnect and update drivers.

hope this atleast gets you started.

Dec 25, 2020
PC is a desktop with the following specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte B250-HD3P-CF
CPU - i5 7500 @ 3.4 GHz
Ram - 16 GB
GPU - Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB
I actually forgot to add results with different ports. I have tried 3 usb keyboards on all ports, front and back, and got the same results. And to make sure I'm not misremembering I tried it again before typing this reply, no luck. Should edit the question to add this detail. Cable is fine on all 3 KBs and I wiggled it in all of the usb ports, no good results. Sticky keys are turned off. Buttons on the touch keyboard are fine. Using shift on the touch keyboard works as intended, but I'm not sure if what you meant is clicking shift on the touch keyboard then trying a key on the physical keyboard? If that was the case, that didn't work. And finally, trying the final tip with device manager didn't give any results, still the same.