[SOLVED] How to fix this clock & temp spiking of ryzen 3000 series?

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Here is how it looks:
https://files.fm/u/rv2hdeqg#/view/Rec+2019-10-11+13;39;52.mp4;play

My previous thread on this (at first I had no clue what was going on): https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...le-new-rig-please-help.3533440/#post-21346469

Disabling AMD's Precision Boost solves this issue. CPU becomes calm and steady but we lose the boost clocks.
Disabling Precision Boost Overdrive but keeping Precision boost on, didn't change anything.

Made this post so others can share their expertise and thoughts without reading through all of that mess. And I would like to know if there is anything I/We can do to have steady clocks when idling but have that boost option when its actually needed and not for every random process and application.

how many monitoring tools are u running? keep in mind that mobo software, msi afterburner etc are also monitoring tools
btw u should use ryzen master as hwinfo still keep forcing ryzen to boost while doing nothing
also with ryzen balanced power plan polling is 1ms
with windows power plan polling is 15ms, hwinfo in this case wont go nuts

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
how many monitoring tools are u running? keep in mind that mobo software, msi afterburner etc are also monitoring tools
btw u should use ryzen master as hwinfo still keep forcing ryzen to boost while doing nothing
also with ryzen balanced power plan polling is 1ms
with windows power plan polling is 15ms, hwinfo in this case wont go nuts

at all times running apps/services in background:
  • chrome
  • overwolf app for games
  • APP center + System Info viewer for temps and fan curve adjustments
  • windows security
  • FRAPS
  • NVIDIA control panel
  • sometimes HWMonitor too.

Every time OS and programs make a demand on CPU frequency goes up, there's no escaping it and to keep high performance. In other words it's doing exactly what it was made for. It was optimized for no lag in performance so it does it fast.
Any program you ause to check performance and frequency also demands higher frequency,

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013