Question How to fix XMP failures

Levens

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello Everyone,

My rig is 12700k cpu on a MSI Z690-A DDR4(MS-7D25), with a 1k watt PSU and a 3800ti.

Today I upgraded...or atleast thought I upgraded my RAM from 2 sets of 32GB of 3600mhz TeamGroup That was running at 3800mhz to 2 sets of 16GB G.Skill Ripjaw 5066mhz.

The issue is that when I installed the new G.Skill RAM, I'm unable to enable XMP as it just crashes the system as I leave BIOS. RAM unfortunately is a weak spot for me with PCs, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to get XMP to work so I can have RAM running above the system default of 2133mhz.

Thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Leave the system XMP off and download CPU-Z.

Select the SPD tab and take a look at your JEDEC and XMP timing and voltage tables. Set those values manually, starting at or near the bottom until the system exhibits the crash. The previous settings are going to be a starting point setting.

It is also important to note that while setting XMP it may or may not matter whether you have a CPU OC going at the same time. I recommend starting without and then tuning in the settings manually from there.

Levens

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
Leave the system XMP off and download CPU-Z.

Select the SPD tab and take a look at your JEDEC and XMP timing and voltage tables. Set those values manually, starting at or near the bottom until the system exhibits the crash. The previous settings are going to be a starting point setting.

It is also important to note that while setting XMP it may or may not matter whether you have a CPU OC going at the same time. I recommend starting without and then tuning in the settings manually from there.

Hi punkncat, thanks for helping! As I said though, I'm unfamiliar with RAM, so just want to clarify and make sure I understand what you're telling me.

When I go to the SPD tab in CPU-Z, the Jedec and XMP timings are almost all the same. I assume when you said to start at or near the bottom you meant of the ranges for each timing setting?

So basically once I get the timings set to what I know works outside of XMP, XMP should also work as intended?

Thanks again!

Levens

Honorable
Feb 9, 2016
I tried a bunch of settings based off what I think you were trying to tell me. Ended up called G.Skill tech support...got right through, almost the first ring. Basically the highest tested stable rating for the RAM I bought is 3600mhz. Setting it to that did allow XMP to boot and run at that speed. Hopefully a future BIOS will allow that RAM to run faster on my Mobo.