HOW TO FLASH BIOS?

steggo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I need help on flashing bios. I have a Gigabyte Ga-MA785GT-UD3H mobo. How would i go about to flash to new bios?

QFLash? DOS? I need clear directions on whole process.

Solution
G
First run the exe file and see if it's a self extracting compressed file containing others. Obviously read any readme, txt or doc files.

If DOS, the idea is to format a bootable floppy -- it's an option within My Computer. Then copy the relevant files to the floppy. Reset boot order in BIOS so the computer looks to boot from floppy first. Run any exe file.

Personally, I would be happier if you confirmed this advice with Gigabyte -- I'd hate to hear later that the motherboard was bricked.

I also have a strong feeling that any current motherboard will have a Windows based BIOS update -- simply because most computer now come without a floppy drive and most users could not deal with DOS.

G

When you download a new BIOS for the board there should either be with it -- or available via a link in that section of the Gigabyte support site -- a loader program.

These loaders fall into two types:

Ones which requires you to restart the computer from a boot up disk (used to be a floppy disk you created) and work at DOS level.

Or ones which work from within Windows -- these days most are like this I suspect.

Check the BIOS files you downloaded or have another look through the relevant section of the Gigabyte site. If in doubt send them an e-mail -- because it's important not to get this process wrong.

The key thing once you have the necessary files is patience -- let the process run and when it says wait, wait. If you reboot or power down at the wrong time you could wreck the board.

My general advice on these things, don't reflash unless you are having a problem which a new BIOS is known to fix.

steggo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
When you download a new BIOS for the board there should either be with it -- or available via a link in that section of the Gigabyte support site -- a loader program.

These loaders fall into two types:

Ones which requires you to restart the computer from a boot up disk (used to be a floppy disk you created) and work at DOS level.

Or ones which work from within Windows -- these days most are like this I suspect.

Check the BIOS files you downloaded or have another look through the relevant section of the Gigabyte site. If in doubt send them an e-mail -- because it's important not to get this process wrong.

The key thing once you have the necessary files is patience -- let the process run and when it says wait, wait. If you reboot or power down at the wrong time you could wreck the board.

My general advice on these things, don't reflash unless you are having a problem which a new BIOS is known to fix.

Thanks for advice. The only reason I am reflashing bios because I am planning to unlock to a QUAD on my AMD PHENOM II 550BE. Apparently this is the first step to unlocking.

I have downloaded the bios but don't no if its the "DOS" version or the "ones which work from within windows"

Can You Help? File contents include a "F3" file, "MS-DOS" file and an exe. file. I'm guessing its a DOS. Can you please tell me directions of flashing bios if it DOS method.

G

First run the exe file and see if it's a self extracting compressed file containing others. Obviously read any readme, txt or doc files.

If DOS, the idea is to format a bootable floppy -- it's an option within My Computer. Then copy the relevant files to the floppy. Reset boot order in BIOS so the computer looks to boot from floppy first. Run any exe file.

Personally, I would be happier if you confirmed this advice with Gigabyte -- I'd hate to hear later that the motherboard was bricked.

I also have a strong feeling that any current motherboard will have a Windows based BIOS update -- simply because most computer now come without a floppy drive and most users could not deal with DOS.

Solution

steggo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks again.
I went on the Gigabyte website and they had a user guide on flashing your bios by using "Qflash." I can use a USB stick instead of a floppy. Also this system "QFLASH" is to ensure this flashing procedure safe. At least i think :heink: