Question How to force a game to use the intergrated graphics

Jan 3, 2022
I have a desktop pc and I used to make tutorial videos about how to play certain games on igpu's using config edit or how well they would work on igpu's. I recently bought a gtx 1050 ti and now the games always use the gtx card instead of the igpu. Changing the preferred gpu from windows display settings either still use the gpu or freez the game. Disabling the nvidia gpu from the device manager works but now I can't record games using neither game bar or obs studio. There isn't any option to change the which gpu is used for which game from the nvidia control panel either because from what I saw it is only available on laptops. So how can I use the igpu for the games while still making it possible to record them? Do I have to connect the monitor directly to the motherboard every time I need to use the igpu?

Jan 3, 2022
Yes you have to have the monitor connected to a motherboard gpu port. Desktops are not like laptops and cannot pass igpu output through the ports of a dgpu.
I see. So if I'm to try a game on my igpu and make a video about it, i need to connect the monitor to the motherboard so I can use the video out put for recording. So can I still use the dgpu for all the processing so it wouldn't effect the game that much or would I have to do all this like I did before I got the gpu? Also is it safe to change from motherboard to the dgpu. I wouldn't do it all the time of course, once a month maybe.

What model monitor are you using?
Usually monitors have more than one video input.
You could connect one video input to motherboard and the other input to discrete graphics. Then just switch between inputs with buttons on monitor.
Or you could also connect another monitor.
There are also such thing as HDMI switch (or DVI switch or DisplayPort switch). This allows switching between multiple video inputs, if your monitor doesn't have this option.

Reactions: helper800
Jan 3, 2022
What model monitor are you using?
Usually monitors have more than one video input.
You could connect one video input to motherboard and the other input to discrete graphics. Then just switch between inputs with buttons on monitor.
Or you could also connect another monitor.
There are also such thing as HDMI switch (or DVI switch or DisplayPort switch). This allows switching between multiple video inputs, if your monitor doesn't have this option.
I don't think my monitor has that. It's a dell 60hz monitor and use a vga cable. So I use a hdmi to vga adaptor to use the gpu.