[SOLVED] How to force computer to use 2.4GHz wifi?

brokenpcmyguy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
I have been having some issues with my laptop's wifi since getting a new connection (some websites like Netflix not loading properly), and I've traced it to my laptop's wifi chip having problems with 5GHz wifi.

I tried to force windows to use 2.4GHz through the Device Manager, but it keeps using 5GHz instead. Also, there doesn't seem to be any such setting on the router's settings, it always transmits on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Is there any way to force Windows to use 2.4 GHz outside of that setting in Device Manager?

Edit: I have also tried changing the drivers, it didnt fix it.

I have been having some issues with my laptop's wifi since getting a new connection (some websites like Netflix not loading properly), and I've traced it to my laptop's wifi chip having problems with 5GHz wifi.

I tried to force windows to use 2.4GHz through the Device Manager, but it keeps using 5GHz instead. Also, there doesn't seem to be any such setting on the router's settings, it always transmits on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Is there any way to force Windows to use 2.4 GHz outside of that setting in Device Manager?

Edit: I have also tried changing the drivers, it didnt fix it.
Normally your router will put out two signals;

A 5.0 and a 2.4 band

its up to you which one you connect with
go to the properties of the 5g one, and disable connect automatically
do the inverse for the 2.4 band one

Reactions: DJ Zio
Sep 16, 2021
turns out there was a setting for that and I had missed it. It's fixed now, thanks.
What router do you have? Big gripe with BT smart hub 2 was their removal of the option to split the SSIDs. More often than not BT will send you a hub6 (first version of smart hub), which has that option. Some devices are pretty good at staying on the 2.4 if you disable the 5, and then re-enable it.

brokenpcmyguy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
What router do you have? Big gripe with BT smart hub 2 was their removal of the option to split the SSIDs. More often than not BT will send you a hub6 (first version of smart hub), which has that option. Some devices are pretty good at staying on the 2.4 if you disable the 5, and then re-enable it.
ahh im not sure, i think it's an OEM one, im not on BT. I'll most likely keep 5ghz disabled for now, it was causing too many issues on my computer